Fermenting at lower temps with Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffywiffy

Reaction score
Just made my first pale ale.. now its in the bucket waiting to ferment(or is it?) I used White Labs WLP001 Liquid Yeast. The vial itself calls for a temp of 70 or higher for fermentation to begin.. my recipe said to ferment at 65 degrees.. does it need to be at that 70 mark to kick off then drop to 65? Its been in the bucket just a little over 15 hours and no airlock activity. I know I know, airlock isnt always a sign of fermentation, but my last 4 batches (which were stout) kicked off in or less then 12.. Kinda my first time going out of my comfort zone. If i did fudge a little, what can i do to fix it?

Don't worry it will be fine.

I like to pitch the yeast at the low end of the recommended range. It sometimes takes a little more time to start but it is easier to control the temp after that. If you pitch high and the temp ramps up you may have a harder time bringing it down.

Awesome, I had the same idea, but sometimes there not always on target lol.. how long do yours usually take to kick off?

Latest posts

Back