fermenting at low 60's with US-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanTheMighty

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm about to brew a stout using the US-04 yeast. While I really like this yeast, even when fermenting in a swamp cooler with the water kept at 64 degrees, the fermentation is vigorous. I run blowoff tubes to gallon jugs, half full of water and with iodine, and I still end up with blowoff overflowing from the jugs. I was thinking I could keep the water temp at 60 degrees. I've been told that the temp of the fermenting wort is typically much warmer than the ambient temp and that it's the wort temp, not the ambient temp, to which the "ideal fermentation temp" refers. By that logic, maintaining an ambient water temp of 60 degrees would be an acceptable solution to slow the fermentation and keep things clean. That said, I may have been misinformed, or my logic is flawed, so any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

well ambient "room" temp is different than ambient water temp - ambient water temp will probably be the same as the beer temp. So if the water was 60 then the beer would be 60-61. How about 62 for a water temp?

Hi guys. I'm about to brew a stout using the US-04 yeast. While I really like this yeast, even when fermenting in a swamp cooler with the water kept at 64 degrees, the fermentation is vigorous. I run blowoff tubes to gallon jugs, half full of water and with iodine, and I still end up with blowoff overflowing from the jugs. I was thinking I could keep the water temp at 60 degrees. I've been told that the temp of the fermenting wort is typically much warmer than the ambient temp and that it's the wort temp, not the ambient temp, to which the "ideal fermentation temp" refers. By that logic, maintaining an ambient water temp of 60 degrees would be an acceptable solution to slow the fermentation and keep things clean. That said, I may have been misinformed, or my logic is flawed, so any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Have you thought to quit trying to control the yeast and simply go to a larger fermenter? Here's one from Ritebrew.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/841218.htm

I considered that, but I was also advised that the higher temps resulted on more off-flavors, so cooling the wort seemed to make more sense. That having been said, I appreciate that link to the 8 gallon bucket. I'm probably going to end up getting it anyway for larger batches.

I considered that, but I was also advised that the higher temps resulted on more off-flavors, so cooling the wort seemed to make more sense. That having been said, I appreciate that link to the 8 gallon bucket. I'm probably going to end up getting it anyway for larger batches.

Sorry, but I wasn't suggesting that you ferment without temperature control, just that the yeast may still make a vigorous fermentation even when controlled at the lower temperature and that instead of trying to get the yeast under control you simply give the beer more room during the fermentation so it doesn't need a blow-off tube. 62 to 64 degrees in a swamp cooler should avoid the off flavors.

Sorry, but I wasn't suggesting that you ferment without temperature control, just that the yeast may still make a vigorous fermentation even when controlled at the lower temperature and that instead of trying to get the yeast under control you simply give the beer more room during the fermentation so it doesn't need a blow-off tube. 62 to 64 degrees in a swamp cooler should avoid the off flavors.

No need to apologize, you make perfect sense. I never considered a bucket to brew because I've always used these glass carboys. The extra headspace is perfect, and won't run me $40 or more, as I feared. My appreciation for the link was sincere, and you helped me a lot. Have a great weekend, sir!

Back