Fermenting an Oktoberfest / Temp Control Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyR

Reaction score
Hi All,

I really want to brew an Oktoberfest, but I do not have a fermentation chamber. What I do have is room in my refrigerator and room in my kegerator. So I have two questions:

1.) Can I just get my fridge to the right temp and put my Ale Pail in there? Is the bacteria that is normal in a fridge a concern if I have a well sealed bucket and an airlock on it?

If that's not a good idea, then:

2.) I have a kegerator that fits 3 cornies. Can I ferment in an extra corny keg? And if so, what steps do I need to take to add an airlock. What other considerations do I need to be concerned with?

Thanks all!

If you have a well sealed bucket with an airlock then nothing will be able to get in just as if it were sitting in your living room. My only concern would be how well your fridge would maintain a proper temperature within a few degrees of your target. If you have a temperature controller with a probe you would be much better off.

You can ferment in a corny if you want after all its just another vessel. I am sure there is a way to rig up a blow off tube by removing one of the ports.

You have a problem with time as well. Read up on Lagering and you will see what I am talking about. I Lager 1 day for each 1000th OG or for example 56 days for 1.056 OG. Also I ferment at about 50 F depending on the yeast, that might be a little warm for your food in the fridge. The big craft brewers lager in about 3 weeks so it can be done on a shorter time line. I think that others would confirm temps are + or - 5 If you do go ahead with the effort MAKE SURE that you use at least a double yeast starter and remember that you will have to pitch new yeast if you bottle to get carbination....not an issue if you keg.

Back