Fermenter vs bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEb

Reaction score
Currently have a batch of Autumn Amber Ale in fermenter that I want try drinking in 5 weeks. What’s generally more beneficial to the average ale: more time in bottle or more time in fermenter?

Planning on doing a minimum of 2 weeks in fermenter and would like at least 2 weeks in the bottle. That gives me an extra week for the beer to either sit in the fermenter or the bottle.

Help me flip a coin and decide.

if you used a relatively "clean" yeast and you're sure you've been at FG for several days, it makes no difference where you "condition" it. You WILL stir up some trub when transferring, so if you're after brilliant clarity, you may want to transfer to bottles, let them carb for 3 weeks, then pop them in the fridge to clear out the sediment and get a nice compact sediment on the bottom.

If you pitched properly and used a clean yeast then 2 weeks should be fine and you could transfer to bottles.

I vote to give the bottles the extra week. Assuming you oxygenated well, pitched a good supply of yeast, and have decent temperature control, your visible active fermentation will be over in 4-5 days, giving you a week and a half or so for the yeast to finish up and settle. Then bottle, let her carb up at 70ish for two weeks and you've got another week to spare in case things happen a little slower than expected. Also it'll give the week for more things to settle and compact, resulting in a more clear beer.

Back