Fermenter Upgrade Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedkernel

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here to the forums and looking for some input on gear. I'm still a bit young with my brewing experience (just got back into this year with AG after a few extracts 10 yrs ago), but want to get rid of the PET carboys that I have been using and get a SS fermenter. So far I've done 5 brews this year and maybe another 3-4 lined up. 5G batches currently, but even that takes awhile to go through for me & my wife, and may switch to 2G BIAB for a bit to test recipes.

I have 2 SS BrewTech kettles for BK & HLT, and like their products so want to stick with them. Considering the BrewBucket and the Chronical BME (both with FTSs, my CoolZone jacket will not fit the bucket in my LHBS at least, haven't tried the Chronical)

Chronical advantages seem to be:
  • Dumping trub/yeast harvesting, but do not think I brew enough to have that be useful
  • Secondary in the same vessel, but not sure if there's any advantage over just tossing in nibs/spices/dry hopping/etc after primary is done
  • Butterfly valves are more sanitary, and much larger then BrewBucket valve
  • Sampling valve is higher so easier to use?
BrewBucket advantages:
  • Cheaper
  • Smaller, easier to fit in a fridge/freezer but I don't currently have room for one of those anyway
If I wanted to, I could do closed transfers with both.

Anyone here have experience with both of these and/or make any recommendations?

Thanks all and happy brewing.

If you are thinking about switching to smaller batches I would definitely consider fermenting in corny kegs.
they are a lot cheaper you could get 3 - 4 for the price of a brewbucket.
2 can fit in a relatively small fridge or freezer.
they allow for closed loop fermentation.
you can use them to serve as well.

I have several brew buckets including mini buckets
I also have a chronical. The chronicle is fine but I prefer the buckets on a whole. If I were doing 3 gallon batches and I didn;t have the equipment I have I would just use corny kegs.

That is an interesting idea. From what I've read you usually cut the dip tubes, ferment, then transfer to another keg?

Would a spunding valve and ferment under pressure be the right approach?

A bit of hose off the gas QD on to an airlock, or into a container of water as a blowoff tube.

Would a spunding valve and ferment under pressure be the right approach?

You can, but don't need to. You can ferment normally with an airlock attached to the gas-in. Don't ferment under pressure if you're using an expressive yeast like belgian, hefe or English strain - it supposedly suppresses the esters and phenols.

Back