Fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvervan83

Reaction score
There is a local car wash that has about 50 of these:

Google Image Result for http://www.yankeecontainers.com/y2khelp/15ct.jpg

for $2 each. I already use the blue ones, that LME comes in, for fermenters. So the only question is..... the ones at the car wash have a "corrosive" sticker on them. Can they be cleaned and used for fermenters. I swear I saw a pic of someone using one just like that on this site so I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Question 1, are they food grade plastic?

Question 2, What the hell was being stored in them at the carwash? And did it permeate, scratch, or alter the plastic inside, that will touch or possibly leach into the beer?

If it was something as benign as soap, and you could powerwash and thoroughly rinse out every last vestige of soap out of there, then yes...

But I don't know if I would.....Nothing wrong with using that type as a fermenter, if you can find them brand smacking new, or being used to store something foodlike, like lme, or grain or something....But I would be a little hesitant to use them if it stored some sort of cleaning solution before hand.

Edit-Labeled Corrosive?!?!?!?! HELL NO!!!!!

Doing it at your own risk... I think plastic is porous.. things just don't get wash away that easily... so you might have some off-flavor beer... $2 is great, but how many do you need?
Just get the LME or whatever carboys you prefer... They will last a long time.

I use them. So far I've fermented 3 batches in them and the first 2 turned out great, the third is questionable ( see my post in gereral tchniques). I doubt the problem, if there is one, was caused by the fermenter though.

It is not the type of container that is the problem, it is what was in them before. Is the saving worth your continued good health?!?! I would stay away from them for anything as far as food or beverage is concerned......

I'm with Revvy, DON'T DO IT!

It is not the type of container that is the problem, it is what was in them before. Is the saving worth your continued good health?!?! I would stay away from them for anything as far as food or beverage is concerned......

I'm with Revvy, DON'T DO IT!

That's what I was saying...the container's are great...if they haven't been holding CORROSIVE CHEMICALS IN THEM!!!!

for $2 each. I already use the blue ones, that LME comes in, for fermenters. So the only question is..... the ones at the car wash have a "corrosive" sticker on them. Can they be cleaned and used for fermenters. I swear I saw a pic of someone using one just like that on this site so I'm assuming the answer is yes.

I'm sure someone else uses them, but I suspect they were new. I suspect they would probably be OK, but as others have mentioned, why take the risk. I'd stick to the LME containers.

Back