Fermenter Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the fermenters I've used so far, I've found corny kegs to be my favorites. Cheap, easy to clean, easy to pull samples, easy to add thermowell if desired, tall and narrow which works great in a keezer setup. Plus, I've done a lot of fermenting and serving right from the same keg and I've found it to be a great method - less chance of oxygen exposure and less to clean.

How much head space do you leave when fermenting in the keg? Do you just run a tube of the gas post into a bucket of starsan for blow off?
Might try this method for one brew.

How much head space do you leave when fermenting in the keg? Do you just run a tube of the gas post into a bucket of starsan for blow off?
Might try this method for one brew.
The largest batch I brew is 4.25 gallons so there's plenty of headspace in the keg, thoughyou can shorten the gas dip tube to almost nothing if you need more headspace.

I've used multiple methods: spunding valve, ball lock gas disconnect connected to an airlock with a short piece of SS tubing, disconnect w/ barb and a length of tubing to a blowoff, removed poppet from post and had a piece of tubing over gas post into blowoff.

I have never really needed the blowoffs so I usually just go with a spunding valve or the disconnect/airlock contraptions I made.

For transfers and/or serving, I usually use floating dip tubes, but you can also use a standard dip tube and toss the first glass of yeast/trub that comes out.

Why tilt when you could ispindel for a lot less and same features. Look on the excellent thread this forum
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/
re fermenters most of them don't change the weight of your wort or brew. So if that was an issue putting in a few less litres would save the weight of a heavy fermenter.
I'm happy with fermentasaurus which I used as a gateway to pressure ferment but they are too tall for a chest freezer and need door access see photo. I wouldn't upgrade to something a lot more expensive that was shiny and they are lasting well.
They are really light of course during cleaning and bounce if dropped. If they do dent because of suckback ( ie cold crashed and sealed ) a little bit of CO2 puts them back in shape.
Pressure ferment even a few psi or the ability to intermittently pressure does allow sampling via liquid post and party tap so less bending. This would be an option with chubby or all rounder.
So much choice in fermenters and all are right and wrong for many reasons.
View attachment 741384

Back