Fermenter lid failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin b

Reaction score
All, looking for a little input here. I recently picked up a grainfather and made my first batch with it. I use the wide mouth bubbler fermenter I think it’s called that anyways. So I started fermenting with wyeast British ale yeast and an airlock. Didn’t ferment for a couple days so I threw in a pack of safale 05. Within a day out of control I had to replace the airlock with a blowoff tube and also had to duct tape the lid on because it just kept popping off. So I went down to where I ferment this morning cap must of blew off over night. I removed the blow off cleaned up the rim and lid of the fermenter got it closed back up with an airlock still fermenting not as intense but still fermenting. My question is is my beer still going to be good with the lid cracked open for an unknown amount of time? And how to tell?

thanks

I had a lid blow off on me once. I came home and smelled beer before I opened the ferm chamber and saw the mess. It was open more than likely for at least 8 hours. The beer fermented for another two and a half weeks and turned out excellent.

I'd say it depends on sanitation really. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. Time will tell though.

I had a bung pop out once. Don't even know exactly how long the fermenter was open. The beer came out great. There's nothing you can do about it now anyway. Just let it ride, and hope for the best. I'll bet it's fine.

Open fermentations are quite common. Sure there are risks something dropping in, but the abundance of established yeast and the outgassing of CO2 during an active fermentation doesn't allow a casual intruder to get much of a foothold in such a hostile environment.
So I started fermenting with wyeast British ale yeast and an airlock. Didn’t ferment for a couple days
Did you make a (yeast) starter?

Back