Fermented Warm with 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum08

Reaction score
I always brew in my basement (Southeast Michigan) which worked well since I just got back into brewing this past winter. With summer nearing it didn't even dawn on me to start up my fermentation chamber. I pitched one s ack pack of 1056 and the og on the beer was around 1.052.I checked the air lock 10 hours after I pitched and it was slowly bubbling and krausen was forming. By the next morning it was going full blast. I checked again after the yeast had been pitched for 30 hours and realized the buckets were extremely warm (80 degrees on the sticker thermometer. I got the fermentation running and cooled down to 64 degrees within a couple of hours. I checked it again 48 hours since pitching and there isn't much activity and there isn't much krausen. Anything I can do? If I let the beer will the yeast clean up any off flavored they may have left since the temp was so high? I guess you live and learn!

You can give it plenty of extra weeks bottle conditioning at room temp followed by several weeks of cold lagering which should help clean up some of the off-flavors caused by high-temp yeast stress.

Back