Fermented too high of a temp - alcohol taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoHawks

Reaction score
My latest brew (a nut brown) has been in bottles for about 2 weeks. I fermented too high 74-78* range on the sticker thermometer that sticks on the outside of the fermenter. But I had to leave town on a whim so there was not much I could do to keep the temps down.

I tasted it last night and it had that alcohol taste that many describe when beers are fermented a little too hot.

Will time heal this brew? I believe I have read on here that yeast will eventually clean up that taste. Is that correct?

(I must say the beer is drinkable. Its not the worst beer I have ever had but there is defiantly an off flavor that I wish was not there.)

In my experience, no. Any fusels will not fade, although the hops may fade a bit so the beer may taste more "mellow" in the future. Unfortunately, though, high alcohols will not fade. The yeast, when they "clean up", will usually digest diacetyl. Sometimes esters fade (not usually, though). but fusels? no. They aren't something the yeast will digest.

2 weeks is still a bit young. give it 3-4 weeks,preferably 4,& it should be cleaned up pretty good by then. No worries.:mug:

Thanks for the comments.

I realized that I posted this in the general beer discussion and I should have posted it in the beginners section.

I agree that its young, but I wanted to taste it to see how it was coming along. I threw a bottle in the fridge and left the others in the closet. Ill give it a couple more weeks.

I'm not sure how,but the fusel alcohols in my 1st brew did get "cleaned up" somehow or other. If not digested by the yeast directly,is it possible that they're somehow connected to the yeast in suspension? As far as our perception of them? Because they did dissapeare with time,between the 3-5 days clean up in primary,& 3 weeks + in the bottles.

I think fusels are misenterperated early on. Ive had an alcohol bite before that became unnoticable later on i dont think its fusel.Just my opinion.All you need to know if its young and you are unshure--- sit on it brew another and forget about it for a while or try some new beers you havent tried before. Usually the best part of brewing happens after a few months of bottle conditioning.Better yet a week or two in the fridge also,something i have a hard time trying to do.
I think a more important question would be " What yeast did you use?"

I think fusels are misenterperated early on. Ive had an alcohol bite before that became unnoticable later on i dont think its fusel.Just my opinion.All you need to know if its young and you are unshure--- sit on it brew another and forget about it for a while or try some new beers you havent tried before. Usually the best part of brewing happens after a few months of bottle conditioning.Better yet a week or two in the fridge also,something i have a hard time trying to do.
I think a more important question would be " What yeast did you use?"

Danstar - Nottingham yeast.

I hope it does turn out better. Like I said it wasnt terrible... but Its far from my best. Ill let it sit for as long as possible.

A side question... how long does it take to get an oxidation "cardboard" flavor? I was at my buddies tonight and we were finishing off a batch he brewed awhile back. I remember having the brew about 3 weeks after it was bottled. Now its been about 1.5 months and it had that weird cardboard flavor. The only thing I could think of was 1) hops mellowed or 2) oxidation.

It was a pale ale.

Back