Fermented sorbate makes bad flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zider

Reaction score
Hi

I'm from uk cider zone and used to make scrumpy from apples. Due to low availability of free apples here in Quebec I turned to juice from shop to make and apple wine. 1 gall apple juice 1 pound sugar. Pectinase yeast nutrient and some champagne yeast. It's pretty potent but has a very weird 'socky' aroma. Juice was preserved w sorbate. I read some yeasts can ferment that into something horrible. Wine faults page on wikipedia describes it as a geranium leaf smell. I've no idea what that smells of, could it be the cause?
Now I am doing vitC preserved Tropicana. Main problem I see is cider apples taste puke but brew out great. In UK used to substitute cooking apples. Here in Canada cooking apples are unheard of. No one cooks apples I guess or Canadian has too sweet a tooth to take it. No matter, can one create the acidity with citric acid? Shop juice seems very bland and flavor is the problem not acidity

They are also called tart or pie apples, but you are unlikely to find any juice made from tart apples in a store. Ascorbic acid ( Vit. C) is a good way to add tartness and it acts as a preservative.

How old is your apple wine? Less than a year is too young.

2 months young. But smell is like nothing normal. It is super dry.

I found Quebec has some English and French cider apple varieties. Now I need to find them and get them into juice and pay as little as possible, not boutique farmer's marchee prices. Prob is cider here is fruit juice and it'll take a bit of rummaging to dig out the truth. Also not helped by the ice cider nonsense going on. Lots of room for confusion. Tropicana mid brew tasted ok, ( over flowed due to vigorous ferment with the hot spell today). It seems that all these fruitjuice wines will lack body. Maybe raisins might help?

tropicana juice wine is still hazy despite isinglass
I found a supplier of apple juice at
www.cidreriecryo.com
I've not been there but it was recommended by the homebrewshop
I'll report after visit

Back