Fermented Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someoneelse

Reaction score
Is anyone here doing this? I'm intrigued! This uses whole fresh coffee fruit, not washed or dried (some websites seem to incorrectly state that the fruits are processed first)

not sure if CO2 needs to be constantly supplied, or if it's just to start the process at the beginning; if I can get some fresh coffee fruit I'll definitely be trying this asap

copied from a coffee company website, don't think i'm permitted to directly link here...

Carbonic maceration is achieved by placing whole, undamaged coffee cherries into a sealed vessel, either plastic or stainless steel, usually with a one-way-valve to release pressure build-up, and allowing the cherries to undergo fermentation. Following a similar process to standard anaerobic fermentation, carbonic maceration differs in that the sealed vessel is immediately pumped full of carbon dioxide.

During traditional coffee processing, fermentation begins naturally when microorganisms present on the surface of the coffee cherry gain access to the sugary mucilage or fruit flesh – this process occurs for washed or honey processed coffees during pulping. The same process occurs for naturally processed coffees as the fruit begins to dry. When using carbonic maceration, the skin of the coffee cherry is left unbroken, preventing access to the mucilage by microorganisms. Instead, encouraged by the carbon dioxide-rich atmosphere, the coffee cherries undergo intracellular fermentation, a process that occurs from the inside out.

This experimental coffee processing technique gives producers a high degree of control over the fermentation process as they are able to manipulate temperature and pH to alter the speed and degree of fermentation. The carbonic maceration process also allows producers to create an environment that differs greatly from that of standard coffee processing techniques, allowing them to produce a wider range of flavour profiles and diversify their offering.

added link (entire test copied above too): What Is Carbonic Maceration?.

This is a coffee fruit processing method, rather than using coffee as a basis for alcohol - seems to be much more environmentally friendly, as well as giving a unique coffee flavour in the final brewed cup

Last edited:
added link

this is a method of processing coffee fruits (which seems to be significantly more environmentally friendly, as well as uniquely tasting), rather than using coffee as a base for alcoholic drinks

Back