Fermented CO2 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVEL3

Reaction score
Does anyone know... if you close of a fermentation with a stopper..lets say 5 to 10 points before it done fermenting... that enough co2 would build up to push the volume of liguid to anouther storage vessel...and how long do you think it would take to build up enough pressure to push it...I'm assumeing you only need a pound or to to push the fluid.

Thanks

Dave

I've never tried it, but if the liquid has another vessel to go to then the pressure won't build up. A small amount of liquid will come out and then stop and then more will come and and it will stop again.
If you just put the stopper in a carboy it will pop out when the pressure builds up.
If you seal it up in a keg and then open the liquid line after the pressure has built up, some will come out until the pressure in the keg decreases.
Sure you'll get some out, but not all of it.
There was a post on here about someone putting a cider that was still fermenting in a keg in his kegerator with two kegs of beer, everything was hooked up together and he said could turn the Co2 tank off and pour beers and cider for a week before the pressure dropped off.
So yes, It can be done until you lose the C02 that builds up.

Thanks for the reply MS...Lets say there is a CB on the table and a CB on the floor and both had a rack'n cane down the center of the stopper with a tube connecting them. Once the pressure built up enough in the CB on the table and started the sphion...would'nt it continue by gravity..I assume also you would need a pressure relief on the CB on the floor.

Thanks again!

Dave

PS..would the pressure release have to be open to start this type of sphion?

the second container would need to be purged/filled with CO2 to avoid oxidation.

the second container would need an airlock to vent pressure, otherwise you're just creating a giant bottle bomb.

1st fermenter --> racking cane through stopper --> tube --> racking cane through dual hole stopper --> second container (purged and filled with CO2 or N2) --> airlock --> vent to air

J.

Thanks for the reply J...So if i had double hole stoppers on both fermenters and the racking cane jumper in one hole and just a tube jumper in the other hole to vent co2 from the first fementer into the second fermenter to purge it with co2 then clamp the jumper tube with hemostats to stop the flow of co2 to the second fermenter/carboy then the pressure would start building up in the first fermenter to start a gravity sphion.

What about the racking cane in the second fermenter? Would the co2 as it was being transferd into the second fermenter travel up thru the racking cane and bubble back up into the first fermenter...make this whole process useless!

Thanks again!

Dave

This sounds like a situation where you are trying to make something much more difficult than it needs to be. Racking a carboy from table to floor level is almost the easiest part of the whole operation. Why bother with fiddling and trying to pressurize? Just use an auto siphon or racking cane.

If you really need to move quantities of liquid around most folks use a pump. If you have kegging equipment that works as well, but again, it's easier to just rack the liquid.

Not saying there is anything wrong with your approach, I just go for the simple, easy, quick, and sanitary process.

... to purge it with co2 then clamp the jumper tube with hemostats to stop the flow of co2 to the second fermenter/carboy then the pressure would start building up in the first fermenter to start a gravity sphion....

There will be no gravity siphon once you clamp the CO2 tube. For the gravity siphon to work, whatever liquid that is transferred needs to replaced with air. In your method above, once you siphon some liquid from the sealed fermenter #1, a vacuum will be created and nothing will flow until the pressure builds up again to push more liquid.

I think this is what madscientist451 was saying in the first reply to your post.

^^ that ^^

i do agree though that you're trying to over engineer something that has a rather simple solution ;)

J.

Latest posts

Back