fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomack

Reaction score
I brewed a porter and i believe i did everything right. Got an og of 1.071 which was just a bit high. Did a yeast starter, shook the wort before and and after i pitched the yeast. Used a blow off tube and fermentation started all out that night. It was bubbleing out the 1 inch blow off tube like it would through an airlock. Problem is after one day it slowed to a crawl and then it seemed to stop almost completely. I checked the fg after a week and was dissappointed to get a reading of 1.035. Was hoping for something around 1.020. Is there anything i can do to jumpstart the fermentation.

What are you taking gravity measurements with? Hydrometer will read accurately but a refractometer will not with alcohol. It's very probable that it's still fermenting. Give it a couple days and take another reading.

Problem is after one day it slowed to a crawl and then it seemed to stop almost completely. I checked the fg after a week and was dissappointed to get a reading of 1.035. Was hoping for something around 1.020. Is there anything i can do to jumpstart the fermentation.

I see nothing unusual in only one day of real vigorous bubbling. I also see nothing unusual in fermentation not becoming totally complete at one week. Is it also possible that your porter has lots of unfermentable stuff in that high OG?

Last edited:
I see nothing unusual in only one day of real vigorous bubbling. I also see nothing unusual in fermentation not becoming totally complete at one week. Is is also possible that your porter has lots of unfermentable stuff in that high OG?
Unfermentable stuff? There is lots of DME and LME, nothing that doesn`t ferment. All the extras will go into secondary. I`ve never had one stop so quickly.

As the others said. ^

Aside from the instrument you used to read the gravity of your fermenting beer, one day is not long enough to finish out. The large event may be over due to higher ferm temps, but it will still be fermenting for a few days to a few weeks, depending on a few factors.

Are you using temp control?
What yeast did you use?

Unless you intent to bulk age this batch for several months, I'd forego the secondary. Just add to your primary, preventing to expose your beer (headspace) to air (oxygen) as much as possible. Oxidation is bad!

In that light, secondaries will create more problems while solving none. For relatively short aging or using add-ons such as wood, cocoa or vanilla beans, just add to primary. It will all sink with time, clarifying, so you can rack clear beer off the cake when packaging.

Latest posts

Back