Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cata_rebel

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I brew 11 gal ale Tuesday I pich one pack of wyeast 1056 american ale in each fermentor I have good fermentation Wednesday after noon and Thursday
Friday slow down and today almost nothing . Today I did the dry hope in first and the G is 1028 in 1 and 1026 the other carboy
I keep it in 68-70 F

OG 1055 I was higher then beer Smith I should be 1050-51

FG should be 1008-11
I'm planning to dry hope for 7 days and move it to keg

What's wrong whit this ???
Is this beer going to lower the G in another 7 days ?? Looks like is dead already foam is down and start to clear

Best

Last edited:
I'd say your beer is quite normal. The yeast quit producing CO2 fairly quickly but keep on working for a few days after, eating the more difficult sugars for them to digest, cleaning up the intermediate compounds produced during their feeding frenzy, and bringing the gravity down. Your higher OG will likely bring you a little higher FG because the yeast have a natural limit and your mix of ingredients may limit it even further.

I would have expected the gravity to be a little bit lower but in about 3 3/4 days of fermenting I doubt it is done. I expect it will go lower.

I never dry hop so soon and have never taken a gravity reading before day 14 so I can't be sure what the gravity should be at such a short amount of time.

Usually I dry hope after fermentation stop
I dry dry hop for 7 days in first
And then transfer to keg and keep it in for another 7 -14 days sometimes even more depending on demand
After force carbonate for 36 h at 30 psi 34F

What was your mash temp? And how old was the yeast

1 pack each for 5.5 gallon per fermenter was under pitching. I am surprised that you got fermentation as soon as you did and it is not surprising that you have not reached FG yet.

1 pack each for 5.5 gallon per fermenter was under pitching. I am surprised that you got fermentation as soon as you did and it is not surprising that you have not reached FG yet.
According whit manufactur 1 pack is enough if OG is under 1060

According whit manufactur 1 pack is enough if OG is under 1060

That is true and it will ferment the beer. But, it is generally accepted that the amount of yeast cells in those packages is not optimum for the best results. The calculator I use suggests 208 billion cells those packages contain approximately 100 billion on the day they are filled. Cells start to die off and by the time you use them the viability will be lower.

152 over 1 hour
Yeast was fresh I broke the bag inside the pouch and is swallowed was good yeast
How fresh though. What was the date on the pack, yeast loses 15-20% viability every month.

I would be more concerned if this was day 7 of fermentation because that would be pretty high for a 1.051 mashed at 150, but like stated earlier, it’s prolly not finished. If it’s still there after the seventh day, I would say the yeast crapped or dropped out on you

Last edited:
How fresh though. What was the date on the pack, yeast looses 15-20% viability every month.

I would be more concerned if this was day 7 of fermentation because that would be pretty high for a 1.051 mashed at 150, but like stated earlier, it’s prolly not finished. If it’s still there after the seventh day, I would say the yeast crapped or dropped out on you
Yeast manufactured date is January 28 2019

Yeast manufactured date is January 28 2019
So it’s slightly under pitched, so it’s just going to take a extra few days to finish up. Let it warm up to 70-72 for 2-3 days after truly hitting your fg just Incase it throws some off flavors from stress but all should be fine in time

So it’s slightly under pitched, so it’s just going to take a extra few days to finish up. Let it warm up to 70-72 for 2-3 days after truly hitting your fg just Incase it throws some off flavors from stress but all should be fine in time
Is sitting at 70F now will se what happened in 7 days

Back