Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyrudolph

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering. I am making a replica of little creatures pale ale.. it fermented to 1020 is this ok or should it ferment for a lot longer..
The last few beers I have done havnt made it down to the 1010 mark as they should.
They have been stopping at 1015 or around that usually..
What is it that going wrong..
There is nothing wrong with the beer it still all very drinkable.. just wondering why it does this and if it a big problem..

Are you brewing extract, partial mash, or all grain? Which yeast are you using? Do you check SG with a calibrated hydrometer or a refractometer? Knowing this would help. What is your fermentation time and temperature in the primary?

This it in a fridge set to 19 degree this batch. I use the cans in morgans mainly moment so extract. I am using a refractometer. I have use Morgan pale ale yeast this time round. Usually use Morgan yeast or the us 05 is the other one I have used with some past brews..

Well thank you all very much. I did not know that you needed to use a hydrometer reader as this what I was doing. But I baught the refractometer because I used less beer to read and dont have long tube for the hydrometer. But the brew show didnt tell me that when he told me there good. He said that he uses it. I will take reading with hydrometer today then.

Also will it work the same way but if I have been doing it with refractometer. If i have same reading 2 times in couple days the batch is ready?

Also will it work the same way but if I have been doing it with refractometer. If i have same reading 2 times in couple days the batch is ready?
If your refractometer gives the same reading a couple days apart, your fermentation is done. The numbers aren't accurate, but the lack of change is.

I use a refractometer for the same reason you do, the tiny sample size. Once I'm sure fermentation is finished, I take a single hydrometer sample to get an accurate number.

Took a reading with the hydrometer today and yes it is at 1010..

So my next question what exactly is the refractometer used for..

Back