Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally4

Reaction score
Just started my first batch of red ale I have it I'n the first fermenter for about 4 days now, when should I move it to the second fermenter?

Just started my first batch of red ale I have it I'n the first fermenter for about 4 days now, when should I move it to the second fermenter?

wally-- Since you are just starting out, Id go 2 weeks, take a hydrometer reading, wait 3 days, take another. If the gravity doesnt move, then rack to secondary (get in the habit of doing things right, then you can start cutting corners).

In about three weeks. Then bottle it. No secondary needed.

The whole primary only thing is a big ticket topic on here so, when you have some time, sit and read through some of the threads on pros/cons of each way. I started out doing primary and secondary. Now, im finding that for most of my beers, secondary is a wasted step. But, that is something you will have to figure out for yourself based on your brewing style, and the variables of each brew.

so many variables.. good luck and have fun!

Welcome, Wally. I'm also from Western Michigan, assuming that's the same Grand Rapids you have under your name.

Anyway, like the others have pointed out, there's no specific time you should do anything further with your beer. At minimum it needs a week to ten days. For even better beer, two weeks would be good.

And the whole secondary thing as was mentioned, is a regular topic here. New brewers love to secondary just because it gives them something to do and makes it feel like they are actively participating in the brewing process. But IMO, unless you are brewing a high-gravity beer that needs long bulk aging or adding fruit or other ingredients after the main fermentation, it's just a wasted step, another chance to introduce an infection, and not worth the trouble.

I'm sure there will be people to chime in and say otherwise, but when you're just starting out it's important to keep things as simple as possible. The fewer steps in your process, the less likely you'll screw up, and the better your beer will be. After you get a few good beers under your belt if you want to experiment with a secondary vs. no secondary, then by all means do so. But there's no need to make one of your first brews any more difficult than it has to be.

Thanks for the advice really hoping to make this a new hobby I've been reading things about pro and cons on secondary fermentation what I have noticed I'n my beer as it sits right now is there is alot of foam as sediment on the sides of the pale im guessing this is normal? The only thing I didn't do was take a hydrometer reading when I first put it I'n the fermenter will I run into any issues from this? Thanks again for all advice this is my first time and def. Not my last

The foam is normal, the krausen will leave alot of residue behind when it falls.
As for gravity readings, you want to take an OG reading before pitching, and then a couple FG readings at the end of primary to make sure it's stable and at or near the target FG. Stable gravity readings over a couple days usually mean fermentation is complete, unless you're way off your suspected FG. Gravity readings are really the only way to know what's going on with your brew. A couple, maybe three weeks is usually sufficient time to reach FG and allow the yeast to clean up after themselves.

Trying to figure the same thing out myself, or if I should even secondary at all.

And the whole secondary thing as was mentioned, is a regular topic here. New brewers love to secondary just because it gives them something to do and makes it feel like they are actively participating in the brewing process. But IMO, unless you are brewing a high-gravity beer that needs long bulk aging or adding fruit or other ingredients after the main fermentation, it's just a wasted step, another chance to introduce an infection, and not worth the trouble.
This makes a lot of sense.

As another new brewer I've got my 1st batch in the primary and made a couple noob errors getting going. I'm doing a bavarian weizen and pitched it at too warm a temp and it visually looks to have completed in the 1st 24 hours, but I haven't taken a FG reading yet (now 45 hrs in the primary). Lots of folks saying leave it there, wait a week and bottle it, but the brew store rep where I got the ingredient kit says to move to the secondary today or tomorrow and let it keep clearing out for a week and then bottle. I like the idea of being able to see it in the carboy secondary, but if I'm not going to gain anything moving it there I agree don't complicate it. If I leave it in the primary I guess I need to figure out how long is best for this style beer.

This may be a dumb question but how do I know if I have made a bad batch or an infected batch of beer any signs I should watch out for?

This may be a dumb question but how do I know if I have made a bad batch or an infected batch of beer any signs I should watch out for?

You'll know when you taste it. Some infections go unnoticed and can create bottle bombs because of the additional fermentation, but more often than not you'll know the instant you take a sip. It will be vile and you won't want to drink any more. If that's the taste you get, then you've likely got a problem. Of course, green beer doesn't taste all that great, so you can't use that rule entirely. But if it tastes so bad you're gagging or it has no resemblance of beer whatsoever, then it could be a problem. But if it's just a little off, tastes too bitter or doesn't quite taste right, it's probably just too young.

Back