Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, looking for some advice. I brewed on Monday, used chill wizzard from Sabco to chill 11 gal to 68 degrees, the chill wizzard has a diffusion stone and oxygen was infused during transfer. Pumped wort into a 15.5 gal keg fermenter with an air lock on top, pitched 5 viles of cal ale yeast. Set in fridge with a temp controller set at 68. No action on the bubbler, fridge was only holding 60 degrees but therm on ferm said 68. Wed Decided to up the temp to 72 so see if I could jump start it. The temp accidentally reached 100 over about an hour untill I could cool it back down which took about 4 hours to get it back to 70. Damn!! Here we are at Fri, I have been pulling samples to check if the wort is ferm, the OG was 1.066, as of today it is at 1.030, so it is fermenting but there is no action of the bubbler. So I assume there is a leak, but I cannot find it after checking all the fittings. When I pull a sample it is bubbling in the hydrometer, I am not sure what else to try.

EB

EB, by what you wrote, it sounds like they're going to work in there. This may sound stupid, but the same thing happened to me recently- turns out I just didn't have quite enough water in the airlock; the tiniest gap was letting the CO2 out.

How did you check your fittings? (Soap and water solution will show any leak.)

Also, I'd take some solace in the fact that your eleven gallons wouldn't have warmed up nearly as fast as the air temp.... May not have done as much damage as you're imagining....

BTW, eastside of what? Cheers- p

I checked the fittings with soap and water, Not sure about the water in the bubbler, will check that. I am also going to check the gravity today to see if it has gone down any further. No big deal on Eastside, just on the Eastside of town. Thanks for the reply, will let ya know what happens.

EB

Back