Fermentation While On Business Trip.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
Okay, so about 4 weeks ago, I brewed my first all grain. It was a simple brown ale recipe that came in with an O.G. of 1.068. I put it into primary for exactly 3 weeks and it dropped down to 1.018. I racked to secondary about 8 days ago and I was going to bottle this Tuesday, but I just found out that I now have to travel for business. I'll be leaving Tuesday morning and won't be returning until Saturday. Am I better off bottling tomorrow (Monday) before my trip? Or am I better off bottling after I get back? I know a lot of folks ferment for long periods of time, but this is beyond any length that I've ever done. If I wait until I get back, it will have been 3 weeks in primary and 2+ weeks in secondary. Is that too long?
(FYI, it's been a pretty steady 65 +/- the entire time)

Thanks all!

Well, it's not too long, so you're defiantly ok leaving it. Or you could bottle and be a bit closer to drinking it when you return. At this point I think it has more to do with your time rather than the beer. If you have stuff to do to prepare for your trip, focus on that. If you have some free time, bottle.

Good luck on your trip.

Back