Fermentation variation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I put my amber ale into the primary fermenter on monday the 15th. I ordered a secondary better bottle but it was out of stoppers so i have been waiting to recieve it. I think i will have the beer in my primary for 3 weeks then put it into the secondary. I know 3 weeks in the primary is no big deal, but can i put it in the secondary for only a week, and then bottles for only a week or do i need to put it in the bottles for 2 weeks, im not worried about having patients cause i already have homebrews done which are delicious, but i was just wondering if there is a minimum time the beer has to be in the bottles to carbonate, i believe it is 2 weeks but im not sure, and is one week in the primary enough time

Thanks,
Francis

It really needs to be in the bottles for 3 weeks to be fully carbonated, but it might be OK at 2. The secondary does not shorten this time. In fact if you're 3 weeks in primary I'd probably skip the secondary and go straight to bottle if you want it done sooner.

I dont really care about the time, i was just wondering if going to a secondary would even do much seeing that it probably all settled to the bottom anyways

IMO, after 3 weeks in primary there's probably not much point in racking to a secondary, unless it's a big beer you want to bulk age, or you're going to add fruit or dry hop it.

A week to 10 days is enough time in primary for most beers. You could go directly to bottles after that, but the beer is much better if you leave it longer, or rack it to secondary for a couple of weeks before bottling. 3 weeks in the bottle is a good rule of thumb, mine definitely taste better and have more even carbonation if I wait the full 3 (Thanks, Revvy :D)

Back