Fermentation Times - General Rule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurtis431

Reaction score
I am curious if there is a general rule for fermentation and aging times for each style of beer. Based on the recipe database, there are large variances. For example I typically only leave my APA's/IPA's in the primary for 10-14 days and before kegging, but I will leave my Brown Ales and Stouts for at least a month. I don't have enough brews under my belt to have a good history so I was curious of everyone's input.

What he said ^

Obviously its done when the FG reading says its done.

I honestly only check FG when its being sent to the keg. I do a minimum of 18 days in the fermenter. My beers are all under 1.060 OG for the most part and never had an issue w a beer w a high FG reading after 18-30 days .

While I understand "when its done", I was more or less looking for experience with quality. Maybe my question was more in regards to aging and not fermenting. Is there any benefit in leaving a beer in the primary after it reaches FG? I typically keg after 21 days and let them age; Depending on the style this may be 1 week or several months. I see some recipe posts were people leave their ales in the primary for several months.

Usually you want to bottle or keg just as soon as it's hit FG for a few days and has achieved the amount of clarity that you want, and assuming it has no off-flavors like sulfur and diacetyl that fade with more age in the primary. With some beers, like hefeweizen and some British ales, the beer can be packaged and ready to drink within one week. Usually takes closer to 10-14 days for the standard ales. Lagers can also be packaged fast if they don't have significant sulfur or diacetyl and if you add gelatin as soon as FG is achieved to get the yeast out, thus essentially skipping the lagering phase or incorporating it via refrigeration in the bottles or kegs.

Aging is only beneficial for very strong beers of like 7.5% ABV or higher, and only if you want to diminish bittering or don't care about hop character and want to mellow the malt flavors and heat from the alcohol. However, there's no need to do this in bulk unless adding oak or something to that effect. Otherwise, aging in the keg or bottle is a fine idea and should give you the same results. But with any standard strength beers, just as soon as you can drink it, it's best to just go ahead and package it right away, for freshness, and minimal chance for anything weird to happen to the bulk batch.

I do a minimum 18 days as well. In my experience, that extra time beyond two weeks allows the yeasts to really clean up the beer. The best beer I made so far sat on the yeast cake for three weeks. Cheers!

In general, I agree with the roughly 18 day minimum (hefe's and some others being exceptions). It seems to me those the few extra days after reaching FG allow the yeast to clean up a little and give you a better beer. I don't consider this the same as aging - just a short clean-up period.

As mentioned, lower ABV beers can be pushed to the bottle in 7 days with a strong starter and good temp control. One I have in the fermenting fridge reached FG after 3 days, giving it 7 so it can clean up a bit more. Basic lawnmower beer, about 4.5% abv... starter had 48 hours to get going good and strong and I had active fermentation in 6 hours.

Latest posts

Back