Fermentation time when using yeast from previous batch in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hieron

Reaction score
Hello All,

On an impulse I started my 2nd batch of cider last night - a 1-gallon batch using the "starting a simple cider" recipe on this forum - with the hopes of getting a really fast but drinkable cider done by Christmas.

Again, impulse brew, so I didn't have any yeast on hand. When I transferred my 1st batch to secondary my auto-siphon slipped into the pale w/ about 3 inches to go so rather than get all the stirred up crap into my secondary I just left it. So, last night I used a sanitary cup to pour maybe 2 cups of that leftover primary cider into this 2nd batch, thinking that would do the job. I researched later that night and found out that the top/middle of the sediment is actually tons of yeast, so I then scraped about 1 1/2 teaspoons off the top of that primary cake and added that to the 2nd batch as well.

So, after sleeping on it, my question is this - 1) Will what I did even work? 2) If yes, do you think it will take longer than just getting a packet of yeast on my way home (I pass a homebrew store on my way to/from school every day!) and pitching that? Again my goal here is to get a young cider ready ASAP. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions! Have a good one.

Ok nevermind! I just got home and can already see action in the airlock! It's been about 16 hours at around 68F; I'm still new to this but that's faster than my 1st batch and seems pretty quick to me.

So yah if any other beginners are wondering about this - yes it works and seems as fast or faster than buying a new yeast packet.

Back