Fermentation time - mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferatdelmar

Reaction score
Looking for some advice....

I currently have three 5-gallon batches fermenting and I'm worried that there may be some mold developing in the glass carboy. My fermentation lock is totally sealed and the tube leads into a small bucket with some bleach in it. Two of the batches have been fermenting for about 4 weeks and a batch that was fermenting for about 6 weeks, I just kegged.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446837852.776929.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446837875.272184.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446837906.638677.jpg
I've attached some photos.

Looks like krausen/yeast to me. The bleach would scare me much more. Join the 21st century and use Star san.

:mug:

Yup - just looks like krausen residue. I'm with Zach - get that bleach away from your brew, and starsan it up!

Yeah, I don't see anything that looks like mold. Just krausen.

And agreed about the bleach - that would frighten me, just having the fumes from a small-diameter tube near my beer.

Thanks for the advice. Wasn't too worried that it'd be anything major and it sounds like it's not!

Haven't had any issues with the bleach, I dilute it so it's not really strong but I'll move to the star San. I've started using it to clean and it's way better than anything else.

Starsan won't actually clean anything. It's just a sanitizer. Use something like PBW for cleaning, rinse, then use starsan to sanitize.

Latest posts

Back