Fermentation time and temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpschultz67

Reaction score
I'm just getting started on my first batch and have a few fermentation questions.

I brewed a light lager-style extract kit last Sunday night (9 days ago) and everything seems to be going fine, but I've got a few questions.

The beer is in my basement at about 70 degrees. My last two FG readings (Sun. and Mon.) have been very low -- 1.002 (down from 1.006 a few days before). But there are plenty of small carbonation bubbles when I draw out for measuring. The beer looks, smells and tastes fine, so I'm not worried or nervous, just curious (and thirsty).

Would a lower air temp speed up fermentation? The kit instructions said the opposite. Why would the FG be reading so low when there are still bubbles in the beer? This was a fairly large batch - 6 gallons - so there's not much air space in the fermenter. Would that affect fermentation speed?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Welcome to the forum.

Many factors can affect fermentation speed.

1. Temperature
2. Yeast quantity at initial pitch, etc...

1-2 weeks for a fementation is possible. Just as likely, a beer could fement out in just a few days. Give it time. Even after it's done, you should wait a minimum of three weeks after bottling before you start consuming. (Patience is the hardest part of this hobby.)

My only concern is that you mention a light-lager extract kit. If it uses lager yeast you may be fermenting way too warm, and there are some other considerations for lagers as well. If you have more info on the kit (manufacturer, type) it might help us in that regard.

Good Luck on the first brew.

Final gravity is supposed to be low. Original gravity is the higher number...say 1.045. Then as the wort converts to beer (thinner because sugar is converted to alcohol), the gravity lessens...your hydrometer sinks further into the wort and your number lowers to say 1.010 or so.

1.002 seems extremely low. Make a habit of knocking off those bubbles when you take your readings.

Lagers are not the best beginner beer to brew unless you can maintain lager temps of around 55 degrees. The 70 degree range you are in is fine for ale yeasts, but lagers will ferment much cleaner at lower temps (And take longer in doing so).

Well, I think "lager" is something of a misnomer. This was a Coopers kit called lager home brew (I wanted to start with the simplest thing possible), but it definitely did not call for cold lagering. The instructions mentioned that fermentation temp should be 60-70 degrees, and would take place more quickly at higher temps.

I've been drawing out beer and measuring in the hydrometer case. Is that the best way to do it?

Thanks for the help!

One way to make your carboy colder in a basement is to wrap a wet towel around it and put a fan on it near buy.

My basement is 68 degrees and I can get fermentation to 65 with no problem.

Welcome to our obsession.

Back