Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WooHokie

Reaction score
I recently realized that I've been handling my fermentation temperatures wrong.

I have been temperature controlling in a fridge for 48 hours then removing to allow the beer to rise to room temp.

My buddy says that I should be leaving in the fridge for 4 days before removing. My beers so far have been tasting fine, even though I will definitely do this right next time.

Just curious, how long do you all keep your fermenters in the fridge, and what noticeable difference is there from leaving in there for longer periods of time?

I leave the beer in the freezer until it reaches terminal gravity. I'll bottle then, and let it carb up at room temp.

Most of the flavor compounds are made in the first 2/3rds of fermentation, so 2-3 days of temp control is probably fine. But in general, the lower the temp of the beer, the longer it will keep fresh.

There really is no general rule for fermentation temps as it really has to do with the variety of yeast you are using. All yeast have an optimal temperature range and there is a difference between lager and ale and how they are handled. Most Ales are fermented between 62-68 degrees and lagers can go from 45-58 and take much longer, require colder temps and diacetyl rests and then cold lagering temps in an controlled environment.

I do not use a fridge for any of my ales and I do not have a means of lagering so I haven't made any. The room I ferment in stays a steady 60 degrees and when necessary I use a swamp cooler.

What exactly are you brewing and what type of yeast are you using?

Using US-05. I've been mixing up the temperature at which I ferment to see if I can notice any differences in the taste. I've done two batches at 67, just did one at 62 and another at 65.

Some yeasts tend to be more forgiving of temp variance than others. Chico ale yeast, like US-05 tends to be pretty consistent across temps. Some yeast produce a lot more esters and/or off-flavors at higher temps.

For the yeast you are using there is no need to drop the temp and then allow to rise. The yeast should be re-hydrated and pitched around 62-65 degrees and fermented around the same temp. As stated it is a pretty forgiving yeast and you will probably not notice much change in flavor with the few degrees you are playing around with.

By refrigerating this variety of yeast you are actually causing it delayed response to pitching since you are dropping it below it's ideal range.

I recently realized that I've been handling my fermentation temperatures wrong.

I have been temperature controlling in a fridge for 48 hours then removing to allow the beer to rise to room temp.

My buddy says that I should be leaving in the fridge for 4 days before removing. My beers so far have been tasting fine, even though I will definitely do this right next time.

Just curious, how long do you all keep your fermenters in the fridge, and what noticeable difference is there from leaving in there for longer periods of time?

Really need to know what you are making and what yeast you are using. Also, what is the temp in your fermentor?

Using US-05. I've been mixing up the temperature at which I ferment to see if I can notice any differences in the taste. I've done two batches at 67, just did one at 62 and another at 65.

You're within the normal range. What is the ambient temp when you are pulling it from the ferm fridge and letting it finish up?

Also, what styles are you making? Some you will want to be cleaner than others, although that is a pretty clean yeast regardless of what you do.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

The beer I most recently made was the West Coast Blaster recipe from Jamil's book. It's a hoppy red ale. I had it fermenting at 65 for 48 hours then took it out and moved it to the coolest room of the house. It rose slowly over the next 12 hours to about 70-72.

I haven't had any problems with the beers I've done so far with this method, I'm just curious about what to expect from my beers when I do temperature control for longer (4 days instead of 2, or whatever the time period is)

Back