Fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Just put a coffee malt stout into the fermenter today at 2 pm at 80 degrees f. 5 and a half hours later there are signs of a strong fermentation. The yeast being used is London Ale 013 and it says on the vile to ferment between 70 and 75 degrees. Should I now place it in my fermenter chamber and set the controls to 65 degrees. And let it set at that the first 5 days then bump it up to 70 degrees and let it ride for another 16 days? Or should i give it a full day before cooling it off to ensure fermentation has begun? Why I ask is because I keep reading that temps during fermentation are 5 degrees warmer because of activity. Also would it have slowed the start of my fermentation down if I would have placed it in camber from start?

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Lower the temps now. I would have put it in the chamber to begin with. Maybe it wold have taken a little longer to start, but quick starts aren't everything.

I'd get it down to 62-65 pronto and leave it there, unless you have problems with unfinished fermentations or low attenuation.

Edit: ^^^^^^ what he said ;)

EDIT: Yeah ^^^^ what they said!!

WLP 013? I thought that was supposed to be in the mid 60s?
Check this out:

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp013.html

Even in stouts, off flavors can be noticeable... I'd try to keep your stout (note not the fermentation chamber) in the mid 60s.. I had a stout that I accidently let get up into the lower 70s and those stressed yeast off flavors (fusels and esters) were definitely there...

Maybe others will have a different opinion...

Thanks I have already stashed it away and set the dials for 61 degrees next time I will pitch at 80 degrees and put it in the chamber immediately.

Thanks I have already stashed it away and set the dials for 61 degrees next time I will pitch at 80 degrees and put it in the chamber immediately.

Why not pitch at (or slightly below) the temp you intend on fermenting at?

Fermentation is exothermic, so the temp is going to rise as the yeasties start doing their business. You may be fighting that as you're trying to bring the wort down to 61.

Yeah stouts I always ferment at 64F. That is based on what Stone and Firestone Walker ferment their imperial stouts at. I tape the probe of my keezer to my conical and set the temp to 64. Anything else non Belgian I ferment at 68F. Belgian I ramp up to 80 and then finish them off cooler

80 should be considered the upper limit to pitch the yeast, not the optimum. Chill it a little more before you pitch and put it into your fermentation chamber where it will continue to cool toward the optimum.

Why not pitch at (or slightly below) the temp you intend on fermenting at?

Fermentation is exothermic, so the temp is going to rise as the yeasties start doing their business. You may be fighting that as you're trying to bring the wort down to 61.

It's better to pitch a little above the optimum temperature to encourage the yeast to get started. It will take some time for them to multiply to the point that they will be giving off enough heat to warm the wort. Starting them at too low a temp will delay their multiplication and may give some other organism time to get ahead of them. You can chill the wort as the yeast begins their multiplication faster than they can raise the temperature.

Great stuff guys thanks for being so detailed I am sure this will help to improve all my beers.

Back