Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.roomtemp

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Here’s my first post.

I am currently in primary fermentation of my 5 gal (dabinett, pink lady, gold rush, Braeburn, Kingston black juices with a champagne yeast)

the vessel has been kept at between 15-19C and vigourous fermenting is over, I’m just coasting with steady bubbles now

will my cider be better if I put it on my enclosed porch where the temperature goes between 5-10C ???

I'd put it outside, since everybody and every book and every tradition says a cooler, slower ferment is better. But the higher temperature is still in normal bounds.

I read somewhere that some professional cider makers ferment at about 10-13 centigrade.
So the perfect spot is probably just in between those you can provide.
I dont know what is too cold to ferment, and I dont have much practical experience. But I think I would find the coldest indoor spot to place it. A constant 15 centigrade is more cobtrolled than something that drops to 5.
I guess it is not worth much from a noob like me, but I would rather have a slightly too fast fermentation than have it stop.

Last edited:
A steady 15-16C is my target temperature for cider fermentation, I use the low temp and slow ferment approach, others like to get it over with ASAP.
If the vigorous fermentation is over its probably mostly done.
Get a wine thief and a hydrometer from a brewing shop (or on line)
and take a gravity measurement. If its done fermenting, set it out on the porch and the colder temps will help the yeast to settle out, then siphon it off to gallon jugs and let it age.
Note that champagne yeast has the reputation of stripping almost all the flavor out of cider, but your results may be different.

Latest posts

Back