Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
When people list the temperature of the fermentation, is everyone referring to the temperature of the chamber itself, or the temperature of the wort?

The temperature of the wort can be 3-5 degrees higher(during active fermentation) than the temperature of the chamber, so this is important information to me.

What is everyone referring to as correct temperature?

Example: If the directions call for fermentation temps of 64 F, should I be setting the regulator to 60 F or 64 F?

Very confusing to me, thanks for the help.

It's the temperature of the wort that really matters. Also, that 3-5 degree range is pretty rough, so you can't count on it just being a differential of 4. The best thing would be to get a thermowell and place it in the liquid to use as feedback for your chamber controller. But those are costly, and introduce a chance of infection. A very close second would be to attach your temp probe to your fermenter with tape and a bit of some sort of insulating material (bubble wrap, cloth, etc.). The probe should be in direct contact with the outside of the fermenter, then insulation, then tape holding it in place.

That's what I do, and I'm sure a lot of others as well.

Cheers

I use a thermowell. They are worth the money. I get much better temperature control, and my freezer doesn't cycle as much. I used to have my temperature probe sitting in a small bottle of water.

Mine wasn't too bad. I think I paid about $20 for the thermowell. I drilled out a few stoppers so I can push it into the wort through the stopper.

https://www.brewershardware.com/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/

I made my own thermowells from stainless steel tubing picked up from my local Ace Hardware store. I cut the tube in half, pinched one end closed and soldered it shut. Now I have two 18 inch thermowells for around $12 or so. (Can't remember the exact price.)

There are stainless steel soldering tutorials somewhere on HBT. Making them was really easy. And now I know exactly what's happening inside my fermentor. And like b-boy says, my freezer doesn't cycle nearly as much either.

Back