Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0_0b

Reaction score
I think the cold last night may have killed my beer. I woke up to low temperatures in my apartment this morning (55 degrees in closet where fermentation is ongoing). Last night fermentation was looking good, this morning no action, clear surface.

This is day 8 of a 1 gallon batch (Brooklyn Brew Shop). Not sure if this batch is ruined now. I put a blanket around the carboy and had to come in to work. I anticipate that the temp will rise during the day.

If the temp goes back above 60 will fermentation resume or is all lost?

I'm no expert, but I think you'll be fine. The yeast may have gone into a hibornation, but I think it would take much more than 55 to kill them. It will probably take a day or 2 for them to become active again once the temp rises. I would take a gravity reading now, and wait a week, making sure the temp stays up, then test it again to see if any things happening. You may get some unexpected flavors put off due to the fluctuating temp. I think you'll be ok though. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Mind you this is my first ever batch. I will try and pick up a hydrometer from a LHBS. Could I take this measurement right in my 1 gal carboy? Sorry for such a noob question.

Generally you will be ok. The best thing is to maintain temps as close to your target as possible. 62-65 for ales for me.

I will mention, though, that I brewed an Xmas Ale this past late fall, and a Barleywine, and both of them got a bit of fermentation going before the Temp Controller quit on my fridge (bad programming). And they sat for about 2 weeks before I discovered. A few more days of it not working and I finally brought them in.

They never did really get going. Both were about 1/2 fermented. I had to repitch the yeast and the Xmas Ale is going gangbusters. Just building some new yeast for the Barleywine.

This is the first time I've noticed this though. Usually just warming it up is good enough to get it going again.

Generally you will be ok. The best thing is to maintain temps as close to your target as possible. 62-65 for ales for me.

I will mention, though, that I brewed an Xmas Ale this past late fall, and a Barleywine, and both of them got a bit of fermentation going before the Temp Controller quit on my fridge (bad programming). And they sat for about 2 weeks before I discovered. A few more days of it not working and I finally brought them in.

They never did really get going. Both were about 1/2 fermented. I had to repitch the yeast and the Xmas Ale is going gangbusters. Just building some new yeast for the Barleywine.

This is the first time I've noticed this though. Usually just warming it up is good enough to get it going again.

When you say 62-65 for ales, do you mean ambient? Or inside the carboy? I'm also new, and also using the BBS kit for my first brew (Day 4 of primary fermentation) and I've kept the ambient temp at 60 degrees on the dot for the last 3 days. I don't have anyway (yet) of taking the inside temp of the carboy, so based on what you wrote, should I be increasing the ambient temp up to 62-64? Or is the consistent 60 degrees that I've achieved OK due to the inside of the carboy being warmer? As an FYI, I've had a dark towel around the carboy for the last 3 days.

I have only been keeping an eye on the ambient temperature. For the most part my temp has been between 62-70. There is no real way for me to control temperature in my apartment. With just a week till bottling I hope she wakes up a bit with temp increase.

Typically all the cold will do is slow them down or put them to sleep. Some heat and maybe a swirl to roust them is usually enough to get things kicking again.

The temps we speak of are the internal temp of the beer in the fermenter,not the surrounding air (ambient). Get a stick on temp strip from the aquarium supply section of the pet store. Stick it on your fermenter about half way between the bottom & where the surface of the wort would be. That'll give you a better idea of internal temps.

As long as the hydrometer is sanitized and youll be able to get it out, it shouldn't be an issue to take a reading in the carboy. Hopefully it'll be your first of many! Cheers! Oh, also, don't go by the timeline on the instructions for bottling, you want to ensure that fermentation is complete first. If its not, you could have some exploding bottles, dangerous and messy

I'm talking about ambient temps. You could go lower for actual temps as the beer makes it's own heat. Generally I think people can ferment at around 58 if they choose.

The amount of heat the yeast produce is proportional to the level of activity. If beer is very active at 68, it might produce an additional 5-8 degrees. However, at 62, it's activity is less, so the amount of heat it puts out is also lower. You might only get 3 degrees for example.

while you can stick the hydrometer in the carboy, I would see if your lhbs has a wine thief or a test jar and turkey baster. That would be easier and you will use it on all your beers. Your on day 8 I would think your either done fermenting or close to it. 55 isn't that cold and wouldn't worry about it. Just let it sit on the yeast for a while and take a reading tonight and post it in this thread. Also if you take a sample for your hydrometer don't pour it back in drink it, see what it tastes like. Its your beer its just flat.

Couldn't get to lhbs but there appears to be some action and ambient temp is around 64.

Latest posts

Back