Fermentation temperature too cold?? (Pic included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradermgp

Reaction score
I put my beer in Primary about 24 hours ago. I looked at it today and saw this.

wJzXcaD

What is going on here?

I have my carboy in an ice bath. The temperature of the ice bath is about 48f... is this too cold? Have a ruined my batch? should I warm it up a little bit?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: image not working but it's on imgur http://imgur.com/wJzXcaD

Link seems broken. Can you repost? Without seeing fermentation conditions, I will say that 48 is too cold for most yeast. You want to get to at least 55 I think

lol looks funky. it looks like trub floating around. What yeast are you using? what temp were you aiming at?

Looks like frozen yeast to me...48 is WAY to cold for an ale. A lot of ales yeast range in the 60's to about 72-74.

What kind of yeast and beer did you attempt?

Looks like frozen yeast to me...48 is WAY to cold for an ale. A lot of ales yeast range in the 60's to about 72-74.

What kind of yeast and beer did you attempt?

I am brewing Cream Ale ( $12 Cream Ale recipe) and the yeast is Safale US-05

Is this batch ruined? I've warmed the water up to about 55f-60f

You need to warm it up a little more. 55-60 is a bit low. The ideal temp is often on the yeast package, for future reference. Push that up to at least 64F.

No, its not ruined. get that wort to about 65-68 and the yeast should take off.

Yep as mentioned you just need to warm it up. As for the floating junk looks like break material, did you use whirfloc by chance? I often get either the egg drop soup look or the wet popcorn effect when using it.

Definitely looks like some coagulated proteins aka break material. Nothing to worry about. Raise the temperature to the low 60s and you will be fine.

Back