Fermentation Temperature Protocol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Peterson

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks.

For those of you that have the ability to manipulate the temperature of your must as it ferments, do you follow a specific protocol changing the temp early or late to obtain the desired effect? Or do you set it and forget it?

I maintain a low temp through the use of an insulated bag and frozen 2 liter bottles. It’s crude but it works if you are around to replace the frozen bottles as needed.

I am curious if any of you increase the temp of the fermentation chamber as you approach the end of primary to encourage the yeast to finish well? Also, do you let the must set at room temp to encourage yeast activity right after pitching?

So far, I have used 71b for all of my recent fermentations. It has done well in the low 60s.

I would like to hear your methodology for temperature management during fermentation and the why behind it.

As always, thank you all for sharing your experience. I am grateful.

Todd Peterson

I do my mead in winter, the basement brew room usually hangs at 60 ish. What works for me is to bring the must to 68° before pitching the yeast. I've had some very slow starts when starting cold. Then drop to 62° for the bulk of primary. I expect to hit 1.000 or below so at about 1.005-1.008 I'll raise it up to 68 again to finish.

I likewise do my mead in winter. I can keep my temperature in a fairly tight low 60s range by placement of the fermentation bucket on the floor in an lesser-heated portion of the house. This, plus using K1V-1116 yeast, works well for me.

The cool brewing bag has been a good use of $ for me. I’m able to keep the temp between 5 and 10 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature by rotating two frozen 2 liter bottles.

Prior to buying the bag, I was at the mercy of the East Tennessee weather fluctuations.

I would still be iffy trying to use D47 based on low temp required to avoid stressed yeast.

I have an Orange Blossom traditional that I just started this weekend. Fermentation is going but really sluggish. Going to let the temp rise to see if I have the 71b too cold at 61F.

I like the idea of gradually increasing the temp towards the end of fermentation to help the yeast finish.

Todd Peterson

Very similar to what @Maylar said for higher gravity mead 13 to 17 ABV potential. With yeast started 12 to 24 hours ahead of pitch stir plate set at 80 Deg and must at the same at yeast pitch then 60 to 62 for the remainder. Seems to jump stsrt the ferment with little or no lag.

Session meads 8 to 9 ABV potential I set my heat pad at 88 DegF. Ensure the yeast is brought very near 88 Deg F pitch and let it go until about 1.010 then let it "finish" at my basement temp of 60 to 62 deg F. (I use Omega Hot Head yeast and it seems to ferment best at 88 to 90 Deg F.)

Back