Fermentation temperature control in hot climate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealToast

Reaction score
In the Central Valley of California, Summer temps are normally 100+ and often in the teens. Internal temps at my home, even with AC can be expected fluctuate from 72 to 80. I'm new to brewing and have made three batches, all fermenting in my garage at temps varying from 54 to 68 during the winter. Now, for my next brew, I'm concerned about the high temps. My garage will easily stay 90-100+ in the Summer, 24/7, so I'd ferment in the house. But, barring running AC at great expense and too-cold-for-comfort, what other solutions are there?

Can you suggest a means of controlling temperature of my fermentation process? I've seen (and own) products that will keep the fermentation process warm in colder climates. But, are there fermentation temp controllers that can cool the process, as needed? Other ideas?

Thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty much your only option. A swamp cooler won't get you there when it's 110F. I got a 7cf chest freezer for $40 off CL and then got a Johnson controller for about $80. Money well spent.

Look into the "cool brewing" insulated bags.
It is a big insulated bag that holds a carboy, you can swap out frozen 2L bottles to maintain an apropreate fermentation temp.
You wont be able to ferment in your 100 F garage, but maintaining it at 65 F in your 80 degree house will be no problem.
I live in the same climate as you, and am able to hold things in the 60s, when my house is in the 80s.
I usually swap out the frozen bottles twice a day during the first 5 days of fermentation(or untill active fermentation slows), then I allow the beer to come up to room temp and finish up.

I built something similar to the "son of ferment chamber". I use it in my home here in Texas with my house in the mid to high 70's. With ice changes in the morning and evening I can hold temps in the mid 50's. The one I built uses board much better than the pink board, but I'm pretty sure you could hold ale temps with the pink or blue 1" board in your house.

It is a big insulated bag that holds a carboy, you can swap out frozen 2L bottles to maintain an apropreate fermentation temp.
You wont be able to ferment in your 100 F garage, but maintaining it at 65 F in your 80 degree house will be no problem.
I live in the same climate as you, and am able to hold things in the 60s, when my house is in the 80s.
I usually swap out the frozen bottles twice a day during the first 5 days of fermentation(or untill active fermentation slows), then I allow the beer to come up to room temp and finish up.

Agreed on the Cool Brew bag. Living in Sydney with no air-con, I can have the same temp control issues in summer. I have one of these bags and it works great, though. House temperature this time of year (autumn) is about 22°C/72°F but I can easily keep my fermenter at about 8°C/46°F with 4 2L bottles of ice. Only have to swap them out before bed and they hold through the day.

Depends on what your favorite beer is. You might after all just make a break and stop brewing ales for the whole summer and switch to saisons who would feel heavenly comfy in your home. With some yeasts (check Omega Hothead Ale) you won't even need to condition the room where they are fermenting.
I have a water-cooled fermenter but so what, if I brew an ale the fermenter will be occupied for a month - although I brew anything between once a week and three times a month. I would be stuck if I didn't brew saisons and let them ferment in whatever temperature happens.
Now there is stout in the fermenter - and it will be there for another maybe 2 months; however there are 4 carboys happily farting CO2: wit, two saisons and my liberal interpretation of a tripel. 3 of them with no temperature control whatsoever.
For some slightly more demanding beers, like the above mentioned tripel, I put the carboy in a bucket filled with water and either arrange tap water running through all the time for the first 3-4 days of fermentation, or go for ice packs. After the first few days it stops being necessary altogether.

I love my Cool Brew Bag. Keeping under 70 that first week makes a HUGE difference in my beer.

In Singapore I used a water bath for the FV in a small room with the A/C maintaining temp.

A small, energy efficient fridge with controller is the best solution. A fridge is designed to manage moisture and to operate efficiently at fermentation temperature.

I bought a chest freezer on sale = $ 200 and a temperature control unit $40...

Very good investment because you can set the temperature and leave the buckets alone for as long as they need to ferment without having to take any care of them...

I'm considering buying a freezer as well. Perhaps a stupid question...does the freezer need to work?

Yes, but you put a temperature controller so that it works until it hits the temperature you set.
Search for the STC-1000 threads.

I mean if you can get a outside fridge that would work as well other wise this is perfect.

Latest posts

Back