Fermentation temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger5150

Reaction score
For fermentation I can either put my carboy in the garage where the temp fluctuates from 50-75 degrees depending on time of day or I can place them in my house where it is a stable 70-75.

What is better ? Do the yeast prefer stable temps or alternating cool and warmer temps ?

Thanks folks !

Stable temp is best and it depends if your making lagers or ales. If the house is stable look for the coldest darkest spot and see what that temp is, ie a closet, spare bathroom, or the dark hole you have where things come up missing. Best temp I think to ferment is around 68 degrees. If its a 2-3 degree fluctuation that should be fine.

Try to keep the temp as stable as possible, especially during the first 5 or so days of fermentation. Look up "swamp coolers". These are an easy, affordable way to keep your ferm temps down and also keep temp fluctuation somewhat under control. You might want to think about brewing saisons as they do well at higher ferm temps.

Best temp I think to ferment is around 68 degrees. If its a 2-3 degree fluctuation that should be fine.

There are a lot of yeast strains that at an uncontrolled / ambient 68*F would take off and get much too warm. I think there may be some challenges without any sort of temp control in OP's environment.

Sorry, should have specified it is an ale---IPA to be exact and I have been using US-05 a lot lately.

I live in California and do not have a controlled environment like a cold fridge to put my carboy's in. I have been brewing for a few years now but I have always wondered the answer to this question

Thanks for the info fellas, I love this forum

There are a lot of yeast strains that at an uncontrolled / ambient 68*F would take off and get much too warm. I think there may be some challenges without any sort of temp control in OP's environment.

Im trying to understand how an ambient 68 in a closet is any different than an ambient temp controlled 68 in fridge? If the temp was a constant 68 in either location the yeast in theory wouldn't it react the same?

The closet can get warmer & stay that way. The refrigerator will cool itself off again. Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, so the heat it creates will not dissipate in the closet.

Im trying to understand how an ambient 68 in a closet is any different than an ambient temp controlled 68 in fridge? If the temp was a constant 68 in either location the yeast in theory wouldn't it react the same?

The refrigerator will (ideally) read the temperature of the beer and if it steps over set point (let's say 68*F), it will run the compressor generally until the liquid is back down to 68*F. For that to happen, depending on how active the fermentation is and how much heat it is kicking off, the ambient air would be quite a bit cooler than 68*F.

Closet. You could do a tub with water to hold temp a little better. You could do the t shirt trick or add iced water bottles to drop temps as needed etc. another idea would be to brew beers that like warmer temps OR pitch a lager yeast and let it go..

I brewed for about a year using ambient as temp control. A couple were hot but age it and you'll be fine.

Back