fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
Making apple wine an have a heater for the must. The heater is either on or off. Its factory set at 78f using cote des blancs yeast. It started at 1.100 in 3 days its at 1.051. My in house temp is around 64f i ve read whites or fruity wines are best done cool but i added the becuse it didnt start like is should have My question is should I pull the heater since its going good. Or should I just leave it?

The yeast seems to be working fine, I'd remove the heat and add a yeast nutrient such as Fermaid K, this is very important right now, the yeast is going to use up all of the natural nutrients and get stressed, at that point it'll start to produce off odors and if left to continue, possible issues that can ruin the wine.
You have a nice strong fermentation going on.

Since I'll be dealing with low temps in my place all winter. "I can't control my indoor heat" would it be a good practice to heat my must till the yeast are in full party mode an then take the heat out. Unless I am doing a red?

I wouldn't recommend heating up your must, you'll be surprised on what yeast can tolerate, look at the manufacturer website, they will list the temp tolerances.

Since my home is cool would it be fine just to get it going good an take it off the heat?

Best batch of apple wine I made was fermented in a 60 degree basement over the winter. Took about a month to clear.

What yeast you use? The yeast I used just wouldn't go. When I added heat it took off like crazy! Or was it just a slow stating yeast on my end? Had the heat on for 2 days now the must is holding its own temp at 68 before the heat the must was at 62

Back