Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NortheasternPJ

Reaction score
After getting some great advice earlier on my first post, I have a quick question. I brewed an ale 6 days ago and fermenting seems to be going fine. After reading this week about temps and fermentation.

I used the White Labs WLP002 which says optimal is between 65-68. The room its in is always in that range. Should I move it to the basement that's between 60-63 usually or just leave it where it is? Is it too late to really make much of a difference?

Buying something to better control the temp in the future is next on my list.

Most if not all of my Ales have been done in that range. You should be fine leaving it where it is. If you plan to secondary, you can always crash cool the beer in the refrigerator to aid in the clearing process.

Salute! :mug:

Based off what I've read here and my previous couple batches, I'm thinking I'm going to just leave it the primary.

Just got back from the local brew shop with a new fermenter to do a new batch tomorrow so its probably going right next to it!

Thanks. This has to be the most helpful forum I've seen on the web, for any subject. Not even a sense of entitlement or negativity in 99% of the posts.

You might try wrapping it in a towel, fermentation creates heat. It might warm up a bit. Keep an eye on it though.

Thanks, its in a towel now due to it being in a semi-trunslusent plastic. I'm sure it'll be fine in a few weeks!

Sounds like you have the perfect room for fermenting in! I have to use a cooler and ice bottles to maintain those temps. here in Florida.

At 6 days into fermentation, I'd say leave it. I bet you're close to 90% done anyways. Let it clean itself up in the warmer area. I bump up my fermentations toward the end to hepl with this anyways. How far out of the range has it been?

Latest posts

Back