Fermentation Temp Wyeast Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
The instructions for my kit say 75 degrees, I don't think I can keep up this temperature after the initial fermentation. Would it be ok for this to dip down between 62-65?

I usually start my fermentation in the mid 60's and after a couple days you can let it rise to the lower 70's. If you don't have temperature control I'd chill it to the low to mid 60's and let it go from there. Starting in the 70's increases the chances of off favors.

Wyeast lists the temp range as 62-75. So anywhere in that range is good. i like to pitch on the low side and let rise.

If you want you can wrap a blanket around the fermenter and it will stay a few degrees warmer.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be brewing here in a few hours (once the yeast packet expands).

I'll be putting it in the basement based on this advice, my last batched stayed around 62-65 down there. Initially I had it upstairs where it got up to 76.

Sounds like there is not problem keeping it a little cooler.

You could start it cooler and then after fermentations starts to slow you could move it upastairs.

Be sure to use a blowoff tube with that yeast. I learned that the hard way.

Yeah it came through the airlock a bit, it's a good thing I had it in the basement where it's cooler, or else it probably would have been a lot worse. I think the most violent part of the fermentation is done so I should be in the clear.

Now there is krausen all over the inside of the glass of the carboy, should I shake it around to try and clean some off?

Logzor said:
Yeah it came through the airlock a bit, it's a good thing I had it in the basement where it's cooler, or else it probably would have been a lot worse. I think the most violent part of the fermentation is done so I should be in the clear.

Now there is krausen all over the inside of the glass of the carboy, should I shake it around to try and clean some off?

No. Leave it there. Assuming your sanitation was good, there is no harm in all that gunk. Very common with this yeast. :) Just more to clean after you rack.

Cheers

+1 to everything said so far.

It's a true top cropper.

All that gunk is just yeast and proteins and such. It does no harm. The stuff shooting out the airlock is almost pure yeast. You can collect it and pitch it straight into another beer (if you have one ready at the time).

And for what it's worth, I think this yeast stays fairly neutral under 70. I have to keep it above 72/73 to get any significant character out of it.

Back