Fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
Ok, so brewed up 6 gals an amber ale and its day 5 of fermentation. The first couple days the fermenter smelled great nice and malty yeasty and just regular fermentation. It did take off and the blow off tube was going crazy for a day or two but no air leaks. Now its day 5 and i'm tasting it and it smells like estery/boozy but not in a good way. I've tasted it every day and this is the first its not tasting sweet but not tasting malty or anything. I wouldn't say it had any fruity taste or smell but more of an odd sweetness and sharp spice from booze.

My question is should I up the temp a bit so that it can begin to clean itself up or just leave it alone? Should I see if the taste mellows out in the next few days? It was very nicely malty earlier but now the yeast made it taste all harsh (will be really bad if it gets worse but really not too bad but I can tell if it keeps going)

Just wanted to get some opinions. Brewed with RO water with 4 grams gypsum 2 grams salt and 2 grams calcium chloride

9 of 2 row briess
1.5 of Crystal 60
.5 special roast
mash at 150

1 oz cascade @ 60 min

.5 Columbus @ 5 min
1.5 Simcoe @ 5 min

two packs of WYeast 1056 @ 66 for 2 days 68-69 for 3 days now??

What was your OG and what is the current gravity? How does that compare to what you predicted? The recipe seems fine. I'm personally hesitant to taste just to prevent and contamination issues. The fermenting temp you're at is fine, the yeast will clean up. It may just be young. I'd let it ride, it will get more mellow as it goes.

Fear of the oxygen boogyman is strong in me, so I dont taste along the way. Opening your beer increases chances of infection, although probably small with the alcohol and ph level, as well as off flavors from oxydation. You probably cant tell how the beer will be this stage. Even after kegging my beer it still evolves over a week or two. Best bet is to brew more to have a pipeline

Stop tasting so much or you may get an infection. Leave it alone for another week, then do the hydrometer sample and drink that as your taste sample.
I have a sampling port on my fermentor. But totally agree I will pause all sampling until further notice. Thank you for input

At three days you are only in the middle of fermentation. The process of fermentation is throwing all sorts of flavors that will not be present when the yeast finish the job. In fact tasting the beer before carbonation and some aging (depending on style) will only give you an idea of what the final product will taste like. I once tasted one at bottling time and said to myself "this one isn't going to be so good". When it was fully bottle conditioned it was better than average.

At three days you are only in the middle of fermentation. The process of fermentation is throwing all sorts of flavors that will not be present when the yeast finish the job. In fact tasting the beer before carbonation and some aging (depending on style) will only give you an idea of what the final product will taste like. I once tasted one at bottling time and said to myself "this one isn't going to be so good". When it was fully bottle conditioned it was better than average.

I nearly dumped a batch of saison because it tasted to bad at bottling time. 6 months later I loved it.

Definitely cleaning up. Some of the malt and roast is coming through for sure. I might let it go for the rest of the week then keg and let it sit at room temp for another two weeks

Back