Fermentation Temp in Apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if it would be alright to ferment an ale in my closet at AC room temp (usually between 67-70)? I don't really have any room for an extra chest freezer am pretty low on funds. Any suggestions on how to achieve a good clean fermentation in my apartment, preferably with lower costs?

What strain of yeast are you using? If you Google it, you'll find the preferred fermentation temperature range for your yeast. 67-70 is good for about 95% of Ale yeast, though it is on the higher side for most. The higher you go, the more chance the yeast will create fusels and off flavors.

Sit the carboy in a tub/cooler with a few inches of water in it, then drape a t shirt over the carboy, with the bottom of the shirt submerged in the water. The water will slowly wick upwards, creating an evaporation effect. This actually cools the beer, to 5-7 degrees cooler than the ambient air. That's your simple swamp cooler. Use a fan to increase the effect.

What strain of yeast are you using? If you Google it, you'll find the preferred fermentation temperature range for your yeast. 67-70 is good for about 95% of Ale yeast, though it is on the higher side for most. The higher you go, the more chance the yeast will create fusels and off flavors.

I was thinking about doing an American west coast IPA with 1272.

Anyone have any experience with the Cool Brewing Insulated Fermentation Bag?

I have a cool brewing bag...keeps my temps perfectly! All I need is a couple frozen 2 liter bottles changed every 12 hours and my temps stay constant through out the process...highly recommend them!

I have a cool brewing bag...keeps my temps perfectly! All I need is a couple frozen 2 liter bottles changed every 12 hours and my temps stay constant through out the process...highly recommend them!

Id second this device if you dont have a ferm chamber. Ambient temps may be in the high 60s, but the wort/beer itself is higher.

Back