Fermentation table for Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmenel

Reaction score
Looking for a chart or list of fermentation times per style. Most recipes are great getting you to fermentation but the times and temperatures required for fermentation seems to be missing. Is there anything out there?

Temperature is all dependent on yeast strains not particulary on style. It is safe to say that some style are consistently fermented within certain ranges but even then what you do with your yeast temperature can dictate changes in a beers outcome. Belgian strains are a very good example of this. I enjoy using WLP500 and you can get a significantly different Belgian pale ale using that yeast in a 66-72 range.

Times are pretty variable too. A beer is done when its done based of of gravity readings. Now how long a beer needs to condition can be generalized into lower OG beers take less time Higher OG take more time.

There is a general practice out there of 3 weeks for ales which is often what I do, mostly because that is how I learned. With hoppy beers however, I'm often moving the beer to a keg on day 10-14. I turned around a 7.5% fruit beer with wlp 029 grain to glass in 20 days for a keg competition.

This is all to say you can probably lump styles into some general catagories but Fermentation is done when it is done and that is best determined by your hydrometer. And Temperature is highly dependent on individual strains. I do find it helpful when using a new yeast strain to search others results temperature wise with the yeast.

Back