Fermentation stopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkshardx

Reaction score
So I recently brewed up a batch of CBBaron's Oatmeal Stout. It started bubbling away within hours and went constantly for 2 and a half days. The third day I was getting one bubble every few minutes, then the next, nothing. I did research on here and found that bubbling was a horrible indicator of fermentation, so on Monday I took a grav reading and got 1.030, I took another today (wednesday) and got the same reading. My yeast have stopped.

I kept the fermenter in the bathtub full of water for temp control and it has been at a constant 68 degrees (within 2 degrees either way) since I started fermentation. Any ideas what could have stopped my yeast, or how to fix it? Thank you!

no idea what stopped it.. I have made that recipe before and it is fantastic... are you sure your hydro isn't touching bottom? you can VERY GENTLY swirl the fermentor.. make sure no splash just a very gentle swirl.. maybe warm it up a couple of degrees.

Just in case, are you checking with a hydrometer or refractometer, and if the latter are you correcting for the presence of alcohol?

Did you use enough yeast?

You can try rousing the yeast a bit, by lightly swirling the fermenter a bit, and also raising temperature

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. Since yours may've stalled, the advice to gently swirl up some yeast off the bottom & warm it a couple degrees can get it to start again in 24 hours or so.

I have been using a hydrometer and it's not touching bottom. I have drained the tub to allow it to warm up and swirled a bit, I'll check gravity again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the advice!

Checked it today and it's still stuck at 1.030. Right now I'm planning to go to the brew store and grab a new packet of yeast, dissolve some honey in boiled water, add the yeast to that until they seem happy and repitch into my fermenter. Anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

Yes, that sounds like an OK plan, but get two packets because to restart a stall you usually need a massive overpitch of very active yeast. Good luck!!

Back