Fermentation stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold71

Reaction score
Ok so I transferred my wort to my fermentation bucket at about 3 am yesterday. I went out later that morning and go home around 7:30 pm to find that CO2 bubbles were coming out about every 2 seconds or so. Now I wake up this morning and I've got no bubbles. I sat in front of it for about 20 minutes and have not seen any movement. Is something wrong? thanks.

Bubbles in the airlock is only representative of bubbles in the airlock. Without checking your gravity with a hydrometer you really can't be sure if its done fermenting or not.

With that said without knowing what your recipe was what volume. What temp did you ferment with what type if yeast used and your starting and ending gravity. Any solutions would be pure speculation.

I've had some beers ferment out overnight, especially if the pitching temperature was warm.

Even if active fermentation has slowed or finish, the yeast are still busy. After fermentation ends, they go back and digest their own waste products (like diacetyl), "cleaning up" the fermention by products.

Wait about 10 days and then check the SG reading. It should be starting to clear pretty well by then.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I was worried something might be wrong. The directions said to pull it down to approx. 70 before pitching it but after 30-40 minutes of switching the pot between ice baths and the freezer I was only able to put it down to about 75.

It'll slowly adjust itself to around ambient air temps. But initial fermentation can take qs little as 24 hours. It'll then slowly,uneventfully work it's way down to FG. Then clean up after itself as it settles out clear or slightly misty.

Back