Fermentation Started After 1 Day Now Has Stopped...Please save my beer!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FellowCrony

Reaction score
I created a strawberry raisin IPA with 10lbs of strawberries 1lb of raisins on Saturday. I used a liquid WYeast Wheat strand (I'm at work and don't have the specifics name) which was reccomended by my local store.

My starting gravity was 1.060. My wort was cooled in 40mins to 75 degrees and is still sitting around 70 degrees. I've notice the bubbling has stopped from my airlock. The yeast was healthy when I put it it (no yeast starter but I waited cracked the protien bag and waited 3 hours for the yeast bag to begin to buldge).

I think it might be my airlock causing the problem - but either way what should I do to make sure that i save this beer. Should I rack it into a glass carboy now, should I wait longer, should I add more yeast? Any suggestions...No beer left behind!

I'm assuming you're using a plastic bucket for fermentation? Either way, the lack of airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean fermentation has stopped. The CO2 being produced could be leaking out some other way ( a break in the seal around the lid or the hole where the airlock is inserted, etc).

Honestly the best thing you can do right now is just wait a week or so and then check the gravity again. In the meantime you may or may not see some more airlock activity. It's one way to get an idea of what's going on but it's not the only way. And lack of visible activity doesn't mean lack of fermentation.

+1 29thfloor. Relax, airlocks don't mean anything. If your really scared, than do as Bigrob suggested. Take a hydrometer sample. But, I would just wait a week and see.

Just on man's humble opinion, but you're putting the cart before the horse with these complex goofy brews using 11lbs of fruit, when you don't seem to understand the very basics of brewing.

Take some time to learn about hydrometers, starters, pitching rates, and fermentation troubleshooting. Your beers will be better and life less stressful.

Cheers.

You started out with healthy yeast. Gravity was not extremely high. Ferm temp is okay. You didn't mention it but hopefully you aerated the wort before pitching.

Like others have said (and yes, it's hard to do) forget about it for at least another week or two and then take a gravity reading. If it hasn't dropped at all then you might have something to worry about.

The yeast know what to do.

Just on man's humble opinion, but you're putting the cart before the horse with these complex goofy brews using 11lbs of fruit, when you don't seem to understand the very basics of brewing.

Take some time to learn about hydrometers, starters, pitching rates, and fermentation troubleshooting. Your beers will be better and life less stressful.

Cheers.

I know that giving good feedback takes practice. My guess is you are trying to help, but the wording ("you don't seem to understand the very basics of brewing") seems less than helpful.

Cheers.

I know that giving good feedback takes practice. My guess is you are trying to help, but the wording ("you don't seem to understand the very basics of brewing") seems less than helpful.

Cheers.

Uh.... in the very post of his you quoted he gave a bunch of good advice for the OP to look into. In fact his advice was more then the zero amount of advice you gave OP. I second what G star mentioned on OP researching the basics before creating wild and crazy brews. Also as others have mentioned take a gravity reading and rdwhahb.

Oh and way to bring up a 2 year old thread. If ops brew hasn't finished by now he definitely should start worrying LOL.

Lol, that is a crap-load of fruit for a 1.060 ipa. I wonder if the raisins were sulfited, and maybe killed the yeast. Did the OP really add that much fruit at the start of fermentation? Was there any malt in there? Man, I'd love to know how it turned out.

Cheers.

Sorry if your feelings got hurt, but sometimes a blunt and direct evaluation of a situation cuts right to the heart of the problem. Attempting a beer like this without a fundamental understanding of basic fermentation invariably leads to panicky pleas for help.

I created a strawberry raisin IPA with 10lbs of strawberries 1lb of raisins on Saturday. I used a liquid WYeast Wheat strand (I'm at work and don't have the specifics name) which was reccomended by my local store.

My starting gravity was 1.060. My wort was cooled in 40mins to 75 degrees and is still sitting around 70 degrees. I've notice the bubbling has stopped from my airlock. The yeast was healthy when I put it it (no yeast starter but I waited cracked the protien bag and waited 3 hours for the yeast bag to begin to buldge).

I think it might be my airlock causing the problem - but either way what should I do to make sure that i save this beer. Should I rack it into a glass carboy now, should I wait longer, should I add more yeast? Any suggestions...No beer left behind!

What type of hops are you planning on using?

OMO

bosco

This is a 2 year old thread and the OP has only 2 posts on HBT, so I don't think this is gonna get very far.

Dang strawberry raisin IPA's claim yet another brewer. It's just such a tricky recipe to zero in on. Maybe we can get that guy who added all of the bananas and cream into his beer to have a try at it :fro:

21 months with no online account activity, this one is petrified.

Back