Fermentation stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
It seems my fermentation has stalled. I see no more bubbles coming from the airlock. I put it in the primary Saturday night. I had very active fermentation a few hours after pitching and all Sunday. I had about 2 bubbles a second, and now today (Monday) there appears to be none. Is there something wrong here?

Should I take a gravity reading and see if it changes in a few days?

BTW I brewed Big River Brown Ale. Unfortunately this is my first brew and I did not buy any backup yeast. Let me know if you need any further information.

if the temp where your fermenter is in the mid 70's, the ferment could be done.
a gravity reading will confirm it.
i would leave it for the rest of the 7 day primary ferment and take a reading before going to secondary.

Thanks. Yes it did ferment at border-line temperatures when the fermentation was active. I had my air conditioner on 65 degrees, but the fermentation was so active it was at 77. The temperatures dropped yesterday, and now they are at around 71-72.

Well I guess I'll just go ahead and leave it in there for the rest of the week. Hopefully all goes well. I worry too much!

Well I stared at the airlock for about two minutes, and I got to see two bubbles! So obviously something is going on in there still. I'm just not used to staring down an object for more than 10 seconds lol.

Well thanks for the advice, and when it's in the secondary I'll provide everyone some pictures.

Back