Fermentation Stages: Importance of Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a realistic idea of when during fermentation is it most important, and less important to keep temperatures under 70F. I hear that only during the first 2 or 3 days is it really important to keep lower temps because that's of course when the yeast cells are dividing, however once that process is done, it's not so important (while they're eating the wort, not dividing). As long as the temperatures don't get warm enough to instigate cell division again, this sounds about right, logically.

Given the standard/ideal situation where cell division occurs within 12-24 hours, does this look about right?

Day 1 - Day 2/3: Critical (<70F)
Day 3 - Day 7: Somewhat important (<72F)
Day 7+: Not important (<74F)

I think that's way too anal. Hit it with 72 all the time, or 70, or 74, I don't care. It's all the same in my brews. I really think whatever the range for the yeast is, is just fine. Only time that particular temp range would matter would be with a lager. Happy brewing. I do know that I tend to stay in the middle of the range, unless it's a heavy ale like a stout. I prefer my brews to have no diacetyl and none to mild esther production. Higher temps, as I'm sure you know, will promote this.

I think that's way too anal. Hit it with 72 all the time, or 70, or 74...

I agree, I just want to know the technicalities of what 5 degrees higher than the "optimal" 68F REALLY does to the beer, if anything. I had my first beer hit 79F two months ago, and there were definitely banana esters to be tasted. Since then I haven't gone above 74F during active fermentation (5 brews) so it should be ok.

I just like to know as much as possible. It's the engineer in me.

I have had estery beers before as well. I found that it was more of an aroma issue than a flavour issue. If I had esters, I would let the glass of poured beer sit for 5 minutes and I found the effect diminished. Best to prevent this and make sure your yeast get to work nice and cool.

I have had estery beers before as well. I found that it was more of an aroma issue than a flavour issue. If I had esters, I would let the glass of poured beer sit for 5 minutes and I found the effect diminished. Best to prevent this and make sure your yeast get to work nice and cool.

+1. a little bit of time in the glass, before consumption, helps. Although it depends on the yeast strain. Nottingham's tolerance to 74F as opposed to Wyeast 3068 is an entirely different scenario. Basically, I think you're question can't be answered with all yeasts taken into account.

Latest posts

Back