Fermentation Speed... Effect on Tatse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering something. On my second brew I used a Wyeast 1056 smack pack and I had a nice long fermentation. Bubbled strong for about a day or two (about 44 bpm) then slowly tapered off down to about 1 bpm over 8 days. My third brew however, I used WLP004 and made a starter and boy those bubbles couldnt get out of the carboy fast enough. Bubbled at 68 bpm for day one, 16 bpm day two, 2 bpm day three. I just wanted to know if a faster fermentation will mean a better/different taste than a slow fermentation. I'm not worried because I sampled the quick ferment when I racked it (Irish Red Ale) and it was delicious. Just wanted to know if it would have tasted any different if there had been a steadier and slower fermentation. Thanks.

Joe

Fermentation speed doesn't make any difference, but for most of use a fast ferment means a warmer ferment and temperature does change the flavor. Making a big starter and fermenting at the low end of the yeast's range makes for the best flavors (although there are styles that depend on the esters and heavy alcohols producted in warm ferments).

Pitching on the cake can result in 24 hour ferments and gives you a good reason to mop the skylights.

Back