Fermentation seems to be stalled..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwross007

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brewed my first BIAB. An IPA recipe. Mashed at 155 for 60 min, mashout 170 for 10 min. Recipe called for OG of 1.058 - 1.062. Mine came in at 1.060 (lucked out there I'm sure, as this is my first all grain attempt ;). Things seemed to be going quite well in the fermentor (68F in my newly build fermentation chamber) for the first 3 days. Then activity appeared to stop (coincidentally right after dry hopping). After a week I checked the gravity and it read 1.020. Two days later the same. Recipe didn't give a FG target, but called for ABV of 6.5. So it seems low at this point 5.25?). Should I be concerned? Should I *do* anything?

Thanks!

-JR

A few things.

1. What was the recipe?

2. 155 seems a bit high for my personal preference on an IPA and that might have led to a 1.020 final gravity

3. Why are you dry hopping at day 3? You will want to dry hop after you know for sure that your fermentation is done. This way you will not be having any of the c02 blowing those beautiful hop aromas out.

4. How is your fermentation chamber set up?

5. Start using beersmith for your recipes / or an online free one, they will help you out.

6. You're doing great. Good job on your first all grain, so far.

A few things.

1. What was the recipe?
M80 IPA from more beer

2. 155 seems a bit high for my personal preference on an IPA and that might have led to a 1.020 final gravity
Thx. Seemed appropriate based on what I'd read.

3. Why are you dry hopping at day 3? You will want to dry hop after you know for sure that your fermentation is done. This way you will not be having any of the c02 blowing those beautiful hop aromas out.
Cause that's what the recipe said ;) Now I know not to dry hop till fermentation is complete!!

4. How is your fermentation chamber set up?
Mini Fridge with STC1000. Seems to work quote nicely!

5. Start using beersmith for your recipes / or an online free one, they will help you out.
I downloaded it but it confused me a little. I input the recipe and the IBU measure was off the charts?? Didn't match the recipe instructions at all? Maybe I just need to keep playing with it!

6. You're doing great. Good job on your first all grain, so far.
Thanks!!!

75F is a bit high to pitch yeast, but US-05 can still come out clean if the temp, as you say, went down to 68F in a reasonable amount of time. Although an initial mash start temp of 155F is a hair high, it's not too bad, since, in my experience, mash temps do tend to drop over the course of a 1 hour mash. Stable ferment temps can help prevent temp fluctuations from forcing the yeast to go dormant & settle out.

I'm definately giving it more time ;) but since my gravity hasn't changed in a couple days I assumed it was done.. Mash temp was actually 154 (after checking my notes) and it did drop a couple degrees over the course of an hour. Question, what does mash temp have to do with fermentation stalling/being incomplete?

Higher mash temps produce more complex/less fermentation sugars. How accurate is your thermometer you use for that mash? Could it be off by 3-5 degrees?

My OG was 1.06, which was right inline with the recipe (no mash temp called out). I calibrated my thermomolator with ice water and boiling water and it was spot on. I aerated by transferring from the boil kettle to my fermentation bucket at a height of 3 feet with a lot of splashing ;)

Latest posts

Back