Fermentation Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Traveling_Brewer

Reaction score
I just moved from an apartment to a house. I can now brew at my own home... As soon as I get a fermentation refrigerator. I have a 6 gallon carboy that I want to fit in it. Right now there is a 4.4 cubic foot kenmore on craigslist for $80 or best offer. Will this be good for me? I'd also love any recommendations anyone has.

Guess that all depends on the dimensions of your bucket and the dimensions of the fridge!

Mini fridges are typically too small for a normal fermentation bucket. The go to mini fridge for kegerators and fermenters is the Sanyo 4912, which is pretty big. By the time you get to that size, I personally would rather have a small chest freezer, as they are more energy efficient than a fridge (more insulation), and capable of a wider temp range.

Anyway, you have to measure! Cubic feet don't mean that much, you need the H/W/D of your bucket and the H/W/D of the interior of the fridge/freezer!

also dont forget to ask if it is the type where the shelves are the cooling coils. alot of older style mini fridge/freezers are made that way and the shelves are not removable.

Thanks a lot. I originally thought of a chest freezer. Do those work ok with the plug in thermostats? I read on one of websites that makes them that they recommend not using them with freezers because if it malfunctioned it could freeze everything.

depends on the freezer. if you dont bypass the internal thermostat, set it for about 35° or so and it wont ever get to freezing (assuming it will allow you to set it that high)

it is true though, if the temp controller went ape-$hit, then it could freeze your wort solid. not sure how often that would happen.

I guess it's a possibility. It's also a possibility that the thermostat could catch fire and burn down your house, or short circuit and electrocute you. I just prefer to assume it's going to function as designed. They don't malfunction very often.

Back