Fermentation Reactivation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
I transferred to my secondary yesterday. The brew had been in the primary for almost 2 weeks. I had the same gravity for 4 days before transferring. Why would it start bubbling again after transferring to the carboy? Only bubbling once every 20 seconds for about a day.

I am not an expert, but I thought I would jump in before Revvy or any of the other Master Brewers.

When you rack to secondary, you stir up the yeasties, even if you were very careful. You also cause motion that can push the CO2 out of the batch.

Racking to a secondary can also cause a slight temperature change which causes a change in CO2 soluability (sp?) in the liquid which can also cause release and hence bubbling.

RDWADHB!!!!

Patience, Patience, it is so worth the wait!!

I usually see airlock activity after moving to a secondary, and it's probably just CO2 coming out of solution. It is technically possible that the yeast got stirred up and will eat a few more sugars they couldn't find previously, but for all intents and purposes your beer is done fermenting.

Back