Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicLife

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but i have a belgian strong i brewed yesterday. Checked it this morning and its going good. Got home today and looks like it went mad. The airlock was jammed up and not bubblin. I didnt think much of it and switched em out and it started bubblin like crazy.

Question is can pressure build up and jack things up or am i overthinkin it? I kinda dont think its a big deal and it was only like 10 hours but im kinda just curious now more than anything 😅🤣

Question is can pressure build up and jack things up or am i overthinkin it?

High pressure can slow down a fermentation. But I suspect yours never really got very high, else the airlock or bung or lid would have popped off (depending on your equipment).

Cool thanks, thats kinda what i figured. It seems to be going strong still. Layer of krausen and active bubbles at the top line still. I had invisioned a fermenter bomb and kinda just was wondering if that was even possible 😂😂

If the pressure had built up too much, it would have erupted when you pulled the blocked up airlock out.

It was probably close to blowing the lid off. A blow-off tube would be a good idea for the active part of fermentation. It can make a big mess if it blows off.

I had a similar thing just happen today
My big mouth bubbler lid was not tightly secured enough during the first 48 hours and last night seemed to have erupted a bit.

Came to see lid had slid all the way to the top, still covering but not sealing, and airlock had wort up inside it. I took the airlock off quickly cleaned with hot water inside and out and put small amount of sanitizer in it, secured lid better and right away, bubbling resumed.
The walls of the fermentor are lined with crauzen remnents, but I fear I should leave that alone vs. trying to splash wort up the inside walls by rocking it to get that off .

Agree?

What may I expect in this case?

The walls of the fermentor are lined with crauzen remnents, but I fear I should leave that alone vs. trying to splash wort up the inside walls by rocking it to get that off .

Agree?

What may I expect in this case?
The kraeusen stuck to the side of the fermenter is normal - no problem.

Thanks. Maybe I am babying this batch and paying a bit too much attention to it, but I was a bit paranoid that some of the goodness that would have normally been still floating on the top, but due to the pressure seemed to have erupted on the walls.

I just now before reading this response, decided to mix a bit of that goodness back into the batch by rocking all sides. Bubbling had slowed which I also think is a bit premature needed on its early stage.

After doing so, bubbling resumed and I'll continue to watch the health of this, but I fear with O2 mix early, I'm not sure what I'll expect, but at least want to give this a chance to properly setup.

More later

After doing so, bubbling resumed and I'll continue to watch the health of this, but I fear with O2 mix early, I'm not sure what I'll expect, but at least want to give this a chance to properly setup.
"O2 mix" - yes, it might get a little oxidized. But IMO it won't ruin it. It might be fine. I don't have that much experience with varying degrees of oxygen getting to the beer. I had a couple of batches where there was a capper problem, and it got oxidized badly. But I'm guessing you're not there.

I just now before reading this response, decided to mix a bit of that goodness back into the batch by rocking all sides.

Too late now, but for future reference, there's nothing particularly good in the krausen that sticks to the walls of the fermenter. The germans call it Braun Hefe (Brown Yeast), and some brewers (including Budweiser, IIRC) take pains to keep it out of the finished beer. Some home brewers (not I) have tasted the stuff undiluted and reported that it's not at all tasty.

Ha funny!
I have tasted it. It's super bitter, and not in a good way. I've also eaten a whole hop pellet. That wasn't very nice either.

Ha thanks! Yes I recall doing a hop shot taste and lost my sense of taste for at least a day.

Well, theoretically most could all end up at the bottom anyway right?

We shall see right

For those curious. Hop up on top

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_212322718.jpg
    IMG_20210629_212322718.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210629_212335214.jpg
    IMG_20210629_212335214.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Ok so after bottling this and having one of the bottles after only one week conditioning and now two weeks, I have to say, I really love this Kolsch! I whirlpool hopped it with remaining 1/2 oz and regardless of the blow off that happened and re-mixing everything in the fermenter, this bad boy turned out just great. Happy with it. It was a mango Kolsch which I did 1/3 of the batch with tincture in the bottles. Those taste great as well. Very satisfied here.

Back