Fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforwardx2

Reaction score
This is my first mead and the fermentation has me puzzled.
After 8 hours the fermentation took off and at the 40 hour mark we stirred the must (there were 2 distinct layers) and took a hydrometer reading of 1.084 (OG 1.092). We put the airlock back on and decided to give it a couple more days before adding the 2nd addition of nutrients. At the 48 hour mark the fermentation was very active with no must in the airlock but StarSan foam coming out. At 88 hours we stirred the must and took a hydrometer reading of 1.039. This was almost the 2/3 completed fermentation (1.030) so we added the nutrients for that point and skipped the 2nd addition. We added the airlock and a few hours later the airlock was bubbling away but now at the 111 hour mark there is no airlock activity. So my questions are (1) is this normal for mead must. (2) should I take another reading or let it sit for a few more days? I read you want to oxygenate mead must every day but with fruit you don't want to oxygenate so I want to limit the must's exposed to oxygen as much as possible. Below is my recipe and process. Sorry for the long post but thank you for taking the time to read it.

Recipe and process:
My brother and I are making 1 gallon on strawberry mead. We froze about 3 lbs of strawberries and then blended them with some water into a paste. Next we strained the paste 4 times through a SS double mesh strainer and then 1 final time through a grain sock. We added the paste to a plastic 1 gallon jug (Arizona) then added the honey (2.2lbs) which was sitting in hot water. Next we filled the remainder with water (1.5" from the top). We took a hydrometer reading and had an OG 1.092 and then added 1/2 tsp. of Fermaid K and 1/4 tsp. of DAP with plans to add more at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar break. At this point we forgot to rehydrate the yeast(Lalvin D-47) so we sealed the jug with a sanitized lid and rehydrate the yeast in 108°F water for 15 minutes and then stirred and added to the must. We added the airlock and placed it in a cool dark place.

Another question, should I be shaking the jug everyday to degas? With airlock on or off? Thanks.

Sounds like you did everything right. Be sure to keep D47 below 70 F or it will throw some nasty fusels. Fast clean ferments are best.

Better brewing through science!

Thank you for the reply. I am thinking of waiting another week before I get a gravity reading and then maybe rack to secondary. What do you think?

-John-

Back